What's new

Granite game ball

oryancochran

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2015
Messages
76
Reaction score
119
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3481.webpIMG_3482.webp

Granite game ball. PF Jay Co. Indiana
 
Upvote 0
Granite will take that shape naturally...how is yours altered by man?
 
Hammered and pecked all around, same site everything else I've posted from, only ball like such I've found. Can post pictures of 50 ton of field rock I brought home this year.
 
IMG_3907.webpIMG_3909.webpIMG_3910.webp

Heres a dimpled one, same surface alteration in dimple as in surface of the game ball.
 
They look like Pecking Stones to me and not Game Stones.

This entire shelf is Peck Stones and Hammer Stones and some are perfectly round just like yours.
 

Attachments

  • 2017-05-29 19.38.09.webp
    2017-05-29 19.38.09.webp
    41 KB · Views: 70
  • 2017-05-29 19.38.17.webp
    2017-05-29 19.38.17.webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 72
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a pecking stones purpose?
 
I thought granite would chip easily. How would it be a pecking stone? Aren't hardstones used for pecking?
 
I thought granite would chip easily. How would it be a pecking stone? Aren't hardstones used for pecking?

I don't know if it's granite, but granite is a hardstone. Something like sandstone, for instance, would be a softstone.
 
I thought granite would chip easily. How would it be a pecking stone? Aren't hardstones used for pecking?

Quite a few of the ones on the shelf I posted are made from Quartz and are very hard dense stones. The others are all Granite. As stated above, Peck Stones were used to manufacture Celts, Axes, Pestles and other Stone Tools.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom