Gravity D ing question about using flat hose, and Y junction...

kYLEMtnCRUZr

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does flat hose / fire hose work with Gravity D ing? I think it may limit pressure or not hold a vacuum as well? But if you syphoned it correctly and "inflated" it with enough water maybe? Are there any pros/cons besides cheaper, more portable etc.

And would this y junction work in the picture? I think it would. I want to work a middle section, but have the benefit of the head flow above.

photo_zps78c54acf.jpg

Thanks a lot! I'm new to GD because its time to go big, then go home and pass the blank out ;)

-Kyle

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lay flat hose wont work. It will collapse on it's self. Think of it as a balloon, pressure makes it expand and the absence of pressure (vacuum) will make it collapse.

Also from your drawing, I'm not sure if that will work, typically all I have seen is a section of hose that was primed with "gates" and one the last gate was released the hose had suction. The up stream end was used to suck up the gravels.

OP
OP
K

kYLEMtnCRUZr

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok cool thanks, thats what i was thinking might happen. But when i googles the quesion I got mixed answers. I will just bite the bullet and buy some kanaflex.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
what you have drawn wont work! you have to have the required pressuer to get the needed vacum to suck the gold up. this design dont have it. the only way it could work is if you have gotten your water from the stream way up above and the stream had a lot of drop to gain the needed water pressure.........then it could(maybe) work.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buds R/G wasted MANY $$$$thousands with over 1,650 feet of pipe and hose to try and run a lousy lil'ol 4" powerjet and it still wouldn't pick up a popcorn fart. I kept telln' m' No no no and they just kept on a adding mo'mo'mo'. FALL is the predicating factor. You do NOT want a jet, just a lousy hose and off ya goes all fat n' happy with oro puro n' your pocket at days end. John

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seen plans for one like your drawing. The plan I saw had a few differences -it had a large intake or collection box up top and the majority of it was hard piped. Idea was to have suction "nozzle" that was easily handled. Also main line was bigger then "nozzle" line. Your couplings and transitions have to be very strong. No firehouse, as was said it collapses. Also it is terribly inefficient moving water, tons of friction loss.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KISS like in old days go from huge as deep in the water as possible with a collector(think flare on a sluicebox)then keep as large as possible,as far as possible,with at least 16' of drop,then at jet reduce down. Still luv my simple hoses as no jet needed JUST SICK'M UP AND NO REGS AS NO JET-John

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't think your design works because the your gold is lower than the

your sluicebox. Probably need more elevation at the top of your hose

for more pressure or a motor.

We sluice with just a 2.5" hose with just 10 feet of drop over 100

feet and it sucks the gravels really well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread