Grayson County Pilot Grove Legend

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes please, I'm trying to build up my research skills. If you'd like to send me a PM, we can hopefully establish a bit of dialogue to see what I might be able to contribute at first and down the road. I saw your other post about this and though I'm not equipped yet, I'm likely in the market for a good used inflatable boat, 2-4 person. Due to Texas laws regarding navigable waters, I believe it will be a nice resource to have in the future. May acquire by the end of July, not really sure yet. However, getting started is really appealing to me if I can help. Thanks.

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went ahead and got started looking into where the area existed / still might be. Photos to follow.

1964 Ariel Photo of General Area:
Pilot Grove Location 1964 Ariel Photo - Outline.jpg

1975 Topographical Map of General Area:
Pilot Grove Location 1979 Topo.jpg

2014 Google Maps of General Area:
Pilot Grove - General Location - Google Maps (Present).jpg

I've got some other resources not posted here, but may in time. Other images. Perhaps drilling down to the actual places of interest in the area...

Thanks for looking.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A company of the 6th Cavalry was stationed there in 1868 during reconstruction

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah there's potentially a lot of history to explore in the area. What used to be Kentuckytown might be a good starting point if anybody's into the relic hunting angle of early settlers. Supposedly it was a very strategic location to repel Native American attacks.

Having visited the area, it's stunning how really untouched most of that region seems to be. Very agricultural. Saw one of those Ram 4500 dually pickups with a 5th wheel trailer towing about 8 hay bales down a 55 mph two lane road. Just the usual kind of stuff!

That said, there are still plenty of public areas to explore all throughout. If anybody is familiar more with the area, in the Kentuckytown region there might be some trails to pick up. I'm not sure what kind, maybe Native American, maybe Order of the Lone Star / KGC even? A lot of the area legends focus over on Wildcat Thicket due to the family fued in the area, but I'm not sure that's the best part of the legends.

Due to it being a bit of a trek to get there, and with the heat kicking up pretty good, I'm working mostly from memory regarding Kentuckytown. It looked accessible from one of the main area highway - there's actually a couple side roads that indicate where it was. Lined up with historical maps the streets should be correct. Not sure when I can get back, but I do intend to take in the feel for the place after having spent some time on the other case, which has some leads but is no picnic.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Vernon, what other case? I get up that way quite a bit and have spent a few years poking around with regular and two box detectors. If it's what I think you may be referring to, no picnic indeed..!

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for 2016 I might get back out this way - wonder if JPS is still interested as well?

Hoping the rains have done a number of the area and hopefully washed away some stuff. Not sure how full the creek might be.

I've got an entry point in mind from prior scouting, but it was incredibly muddy and I don't have any proper boots (galoshes?) yet that would be right. Might be interested in going back just to see how the creek is doing in winter but it's far enough of a trip I'm not wanting to just go to spend gas money.

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I live in Winnsboro, which might be a little too far away. But I have scouted around that area once, and did a little research. Feel free to contact me, as I may be interested, also.

JD1

Feb 26, 2015
North DFW
Detector(s) used
ATP, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out that way last week, doing some scouting around. Would be very interested in participating in the research.

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I did look into the Lee-Peacock feud and discovered that Daniel Lee (Bob Lee's father) sold his house and land in Virginia in the 1830's for $500,000 (in that time's currency value) in gold and settled in the area of the Lee-Peacock feud. Near the intersection of Hunt/Grayson/Collin/Fannin counties. In the Wildcat Thicket.

I found his original patent on an old Texas historical map, so I know exactly where his land was, all 640 acres. Since he lived in a thicket, I am pretty sure he buried his gold, rather than keeping it in his house, but nearby so he could keep an eye on it.

Apparently, only Daniel, his son Bob, and his daughter knew where it was. Since both Daniel and Bob died in the feud, and his daughter died a short time later, the location of where it was buried was lost.

Also, it appears that most searchers for the gold have searched around the family cemetery there (since no one wants to search 640 acres of the original land, some land of which is owned by various people now. I drove up there (1 hour and 45 minutes from my house) to scout out the area. I saw that the family cemetery is a lot further south (in Hunt county) than where the internet says that his house was located (in Fannin County).

So I looked up the tax records and got on google earth and think I know which property address to ask permission from to search for his buried gold.

I also read where Bob Lee's band of "outlaws" liked to make hideouts where you had to crawl under a place the thicket bushes in order to get to their camp. Which may be another clue. I have hunted in thickets before, and it is not for the faint of heart! (you get lots of cuts)

If anyone lives nearer to the search area (near the intersection of Hunt/Grayson/Collin/Fannin counties) then I hope this helps, as getting out there to search is really hard for me to do, as it is more than 3.5 hours travel time (round trip) for me.

Good luck to all!

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've been going up there for years. Permission will be very difficult! Even with the connections I do have, I still have only a very tentative 'maybe' that I've been waiting on. Shoot me a PM and we can talk about stuff if you want.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Another thing occurred to me-much of the thicket has been cleared years ago to open more farmland. The site of Daniel's house was literally graded and sifted many years ago, along with the well being dug completely to the bottom. All that apparently yielded nothing. The cemetery has been vandalized many times and I've even seen signs of digging there twice in the last 8 or so years. The thicket that remains is tough to penetrate and chock full of poison ivy to compliment the thorns. As you said, definitely not for the faint of heart, those scared of snakes, or not in pretty good shape!

jarrow

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,AT Pro, Groundhog
Compass Judge2 Auto.
White's Prizm IV
Where can I find information about this legend I have heard about it.
I live in NE. Denton County.
Thanks Joe

Last edited:

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jarrow,

I would have to get out my files for it.
All my files are paper, so would have to scan some of the best docs.
It sounds like Pyledriver may have more current information.
If you don't hear from Pyledriver, just let me know, as it is just too far from me at this time.

Best of luck!

sonofmitch

Apr 9, 2007
Lone Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro ,Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pilot Grove Legend

Did you ever find your source for the Pilot Grove Legend. I would be interested in seeing it if you did
Mitch

Hi Jarrow,

I would have to get out my files for it.
All my files are paper, so would have to scan some of the best docs.
It sounds like Pyledriver may have more current information.
If you don't hear from Pyledriver, just let me know, as it is just too far from me at this time.

Best of luck!

Kale278

Oct 21, 2020
Sherman, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, GTI 2500, and an Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im late to the party, but would love to go hunt this area, and have been researching it for a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread