GREAT "find" at Jones Mem. Library in L'burg, Va., today!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
YEAH! Nice "Booklet" - DESCENDANTS OF JAMES BEVERLY RISQUE by Evelyn Johnson Wood, right on Chuck's desk... as if waiting for me! Risque name started out as RISK! LOTS of info from Presbyterian & Spring Hill Cemeteries Records (in L'burg, Va.); and families such as Gibbs, Walker, Hutter, Meem, Long, Johnson, Wood, Montsinger, Cosby, & others. LAWDY! GREAT STUFF! MANY still living! :icon_thumleft:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Ward seems to be missing from your above listing, while the daughter of James Beverly Wards daughter Adeline Virginia Ward McVeigh, married a Walker, and her grandson talked about the Beale Papers to Lt Fawcett on a mission for William Friedman.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEAH! Nice "Booklet" - DESCENDANTS OF JAMES BEVERLY RISQUE by Evelyn Johnson Wood, right on Chuck's desk... as if waiting for me! Risque name started out as RISK! LOTS of info from Presbyterian & Spring Hill Cemeteries Records (in L'burg, Va.); and families such as Gibbs, Walker, Hutter, Meem, Long, Johnson, Wood, Montsinger, Cosby, & others. LAWDY! GREAT STUFF! MANY still living! :icon_thumleft:

You need to go through all of the Ragland Papers and the booklet, "Descendants of James Beverly Risque" I found a book that James Beverly Ward was trying to find information about before his death. Ward was researching the "Kennerly Family" I found a copy in the Historical Society of Missouri" Right interesting if we could find the smoking gun.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You need to go through all of the Ragland Papers and the booklet, "Descendants of James Beverly Risque" I found a book that James Beverly Ward was trying to find information about before his death. Ward was researching the "Kennerly Family" I found a copy in the Historical Society of Missouri" Right interesting if we could find the smoking gun.
HA! Too many boxes, not enough time! DID read through the booklet; LOTS of GREAT info... too much to "follow-up" on. PROBABLY a day or two is needed...

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may regret not taking the time, if someone finds what you seek before you. They may make the information disappear. A lot of treasure information I have looked for has been lost and unaccounted for even court records. Don't miss out.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Ward seems to be missing from your above listing, while the daughter of James Beverly Wards daughter Adeline Virginia Ward McVeigh, married a Walker, and her grandson talked about the Beale Papers to Lt Fawcett on a mission for William Friedman.
Well I typed that info in EXCITEMENT; BOTH Ward & McVeigh Families WERE included. Several J.B. Ward's children (married) were indicated as having lived in Florida (& buried there). McVeigh was NOT a doctor as I thought; Walker IS listed... with DESCENDANTS; again, unexpected info, & too much to "follow-up" on. MAY look into it all, in the SPRING; making MORE time to do R & I.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Are the any of Rowland D Buford's papers?
As the son of Pascal Buford, he wrote "SKETCHES OF BEDFORD COUNTY" which contained NO MEMTION of Beale's stay at Buford's, the BEALE PAPERS or his talk with Ward which caused the job pamphlet being withdrawn from sale.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I typed that info in EXCITEMENT; BOTH Ward & McVeigh Families WERE included. several J.B. Ward's children (married) were indicated as having lived in Florida (& buried there). McVeigh was NOT a doctor as I thought; Walker IS listed... with DESCENDANTS; again, unexpected info, & too much to "follow-up" on. MAY look into it all, in the SPRING; making MORE time to do R & I.

McVeigh worked for the newspaper and later was a farmer.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Are the any of Rowland D Buford's papers?
As the son of Pascal Buford, he wrote "SKETCHES OF BEDFORD COUNTY" which contained NO MEMTION of Beale's stay at Buford's, the BEALE PAPAERS or his talk with Ward which caused the job pamphlet being withdrawn from sale.
It is true that there is NO mention as you say in the SKETCHES OF BEDFORD COUNTY; read it too. AND! Rowland D. Buford "Papers" would be in Bedford City Library References or at their Museum... not there, yet.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What else, do you know...? What Newspaper...? WHERE did he farm...? May be important clues...

Rebel, I have the research somewhere. I will look it up when I get time. I do know he worked at the Virginian Newspaper in the mid-1870's, I think 1877 but do not quote me on that. I do have the information. He did travel to different cities. Whether he worked during the Civil War at the newspaper I can not definitely say. I do know that he died at the age of 84 and was buried in a Confederate Gray Casket in Spring Hill Cemetery. He was born in 1843 in Loudon County, Va. He was in his 20's during the Civil War so he could have been the author because he was staying with James Beverly Ward at that time.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Adeline Virginia Ward McVeigh's husband worked at the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN newspaper along with John William Sherman printer of the Beale Papers pamphlet?
Annie Morris Ward Smith's husband worked at ADAMS BROS & PAYNES whose letterhead James Beverly Ward used to apply for copyright for the Beale Papers.
Two more names to add to the list of those who possibly knew the truth behind the Beale story.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Adeline Virginia Ward McVeigh's husband worked at the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN newspaper along with John William Sherman printer of the Beale Papers pamphlet?
Annie Morris Ward Smith's husband worked at ADAMS BROS & PAYNES whose letterhead James Beverly Ward used to apply for copyright for the Beale Papers.
Two more names to add to the list of those who possibly knew the truth behind the Beale story.
Maybe so...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe so...

"Knowledge of this affair was confined to a very limited circle-to the writer's immediate family, and to one old and valued friend"
THE BEALE PAPERS

Could it be that "this affair" refers to the creation of the Beale narrative story of the dime novel pamphlet, and the "immediate family" was Ward's wife, daughters, and sons-in-law, and the "old and valued n" was Max Guggenheimer who was name dropped in the Beale Papers dime novel?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You need to go through all of the Ragland Papers and the booklet, "Descendants of James Beverly Risque" I found a book that James Beverly Ward was trying to find information about before his death. Ward was researching the "Kennerly Family" ...
Ward's grandmother and the Hutters, was Elizabeth Kennerly Risqué.
Ward's Kennerly cousins ran a mercantile store in St Louis, and Julia Hancock, for whom the Risqué /Beale duel was fought, stayed with her Kennerly cousins before marrying William Clark.
The Hutters, as well as Ward, lived for a time in St Louis.
Many events in this Risqué extended family bloodline influenced the Beale narrative text including the massacre of Ward's granduncle, John Pickrell Risqué, by Indians while inspecting gold and silver mines in Arizona.

Rebel-KGC

Jul 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No; U have to go. I reviewed the Ragland Papers, also... @ 10 boxes of stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread