Great idea if you have the time and energy!!

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Hello all, just thought I'd fill all of you in on something my mom and my aunt started a couple years ago. Going to garage sales, auctions, estate sales, etc. has been something we've always done since I was a kid. A few years ago, my mom and her two sisters decided to buy 'stuff' cheap at auction and garage sales and resell them on ebay or their own garage sales. (my mom is an ebay queen!!!) Anway, as time went on they decided they were doing pretty good at this stuff so they placed an ad in the local paper that they will pay someone for their entire household goods instead of going through the trouble of a yard sale, or estate auction. It's really quite amazing the response they get, and this is very, very small town America. they get calls all the time from people who's parents have passed on and the remaining family just doesn't want to deal with the load of cleaning out the house. Thats when my mom and aunt get the phone call. they usually pay 2-3 thousand and get back much, much more in return. Last year my mom and her friend opened up a secondhand store, called the 'city dump II' and are doing extremely well for themselves. Some of their favorites are abandoned storage units that get auctioned off. It's crazy, but they do quite well. Just thought I'd pass on the idea, so if anyone has ever thought about it, it can be done!

JW

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
i do put out the ads but havent gotten any good calls yet....so far it has been people wanting too much for a little bit of stuff.....i have bought the storage units at auctions before and made a killing......trouble with that is most of the auctions are during the week and i work full time......i had a second hand store at one time called "The Gittin Place"....but had to close it because i worked full time and couldnt get any decent help to run it........you can make a fortune in that type of business but like you said you just have to either have the time now or bite the bullet and take the leap of faith............BTW ...i sell on ebay and the items i got from the storage units that i didnt want to list on there i took to the flea market and always at least doubled my initial investment

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread