SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the Xterra out for a walk in the woods a week or so ago and stumbled onto an enormous pile of construction dirt. You could tell from the full grown trees growing out of it that it had been there a really long time. It towered about 25 feet straight up and about 40 feet long. The sides were too steep to detect much but there was a nice path to the top of the pile. I searched on top for maybe an hour and didn't find anything before I got this nice silver signal. Hoping for a silver coin, I never expected to pull out a ring. It was corroded black and loaded with mud so I didn't know for sure it was silver until I got it home and got some of the corrosion off. I'd say its dates to somewhere around the turn of the century to maybe the 20's. The stone in the ring is actually a rock which must have been stuck in to replace the original.

I've been back to this stretch of woods several times and haven't found so much as a penny, but this section of woods is full of smaller dirt piles and landfill so there may be more there to be found.

Attachments

• Old silver ring.JPG
    Old silver ring.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,130
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool ring! You never when/where good stuff will come out of the ground.

DCMatt

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Good find, and clever to figure out the pile was construction dirt. What kind of stone do you think it is?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Ring! Looks like very old. Stone appears to be Amber. Congrats Hogge

OP
OP
SusanMN

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
Good find, and clever to figure out the pile was construction dirt. What kind of stone do you think it is?

Not to hard to figure out this wasn't just a hill since it was loaded with pieces of concrete and asphalt. This land borders on a swamp and it appears they were dumping material here to fill in the swamp.

As to the "stone" in the ring, it is an actual pebble, like you'd pick up off the ground. I'm sure that someone just stuck it in there after the real stone fell out.

Thanks everyone for looking

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig those dirt piles pay off sometimes :icon_thumleft: Dd60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread