Great tip for how to remove permanent marker from many items

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure many are aware of this but for those that aren't, its one of the best things Ive learned this year.

Works on an item that has permanent marker on it like a plastic coffee mug, or a hard sided suitcase, or a video game case/dvd, etc. Just take a dry erase marker, and rub it all over the permanent marker and it will just disappear! Then wipe the residue off with a paper towel. ITs that easy!

I have used this method to remove writing from a ton of items.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Zippo lighter fluid and a rag is my favorite. Works like a charm, most of the time.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure many are aware of this but for those that aren't, its one of the best things Ive learned this year.

Works on an item that has permanent marker on it like a plastic coffee mug, or a hard sided suitcase, or a video game case/dvd, etc. Just take a dry erase marker, and rub it all over the permanent marker and it will just disappear! Then wipe the residue off with a paper towel. ITs that easy!

I have used this method to remove writing from a ton of items.

Also try hair spray! BUT, it's got to be the pressurized aresol hair spray in the metal cans, not the pump kind. The cheaper the stuff is; the better it works. Spray it on the permanent marker, let it sit for 15 seconds or so, the blot and wipe up with a clean absorbent cloth. It may take two or three tries, but it works!

My wife saw and wanted a 1950's tricycle like she had as a little kid. The garage sale seller had taken a black perm. marker and marked the dollar sign price, and all four digits and dime-size decimal in big 2" numbers on the top of the red oxidized seat's paint. It took have a dozen tries; each one made the marker fade. You'd never tell there was anything written on the seat, and the paint stayed the same as it was before starting.

Try it, you'll like it....

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I'll give a little hint about my age with this one! In 1963 I worked in a grocery store. The price was stamped on each item with permanent ink. (Remember when you didn't have to look at the prices posted on the shelves and make sure the UPC code matched the item you were buying because each item was marked?) Then when we had price changes (almost every week), we would cover the old price with a white, round or rectangular shaped sticker. If we were out of these stickers, we had to remove the old price before remarking the item with the new price. To do this we used nail polish remover. It worked quite well. When I'm shopping, I still remember those good ol' days. I hate to get down on my knees to look at the UPC numbers on the bottom shelf to see if I can afford the item! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread