Greed

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
What is wrong with this site ? Does it care about who reads the forum ? How about putting an end to your advertisers who want to scare people in believing they have a virus, Point simple , I will not even bother to visit this site anymore because of your greed to have an advertiser scare people here, Has anyone had this happen ? I'm scrolling down and I get a warning you have a serious virus.. because my pointer so happens to slip to an advertisement. Come on people take them down!!!! Its a good thing I did not fall for it you can imagine what it would have really done! By the way that advertisement that follows is really annoying !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is wrong with this site ? Does it care about who reads the forum ? How about putting an end to your advertisers who want to scare people in believing they have a virus, Point simple , I will not even bother to visit this site anymore because of your greed to have an advertiser scare people here, Has anyone had this happen ? I'm scrolling down and I get a warning you have a serious virus.. because my pointer so happens to slip to an advertisement. Come on people take them down!!!! Its a good thing I did not fall for it you can imagine what it would have really done! By the way that advertisement that follows is really annoying !

If you log in you don't see the ads....

There is no need to attack or insult TN....

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be fair... the Blue -Screen -Of -Death "YOU HAVE A VIRUS" ad is a bit over the top.

It takes over your audio, and screams at you.

I have no complaint at all with the site advertising. I'm about as capitalist as they come...

But that particular ad is beyond dishonest.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Log on, clean up your history, delete the cookies, clean up the preferences, and it's always good. Don't log on and the ads are just there and you'll get some pretty weird crap.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
With adds that you see here most of the time it is something you looked up in your computer before . Like i look up something on a lawn tractor .. And then when i come on Tnet on top there is a add for lawn tractors .. I was looking up something about dvd players and come on Tnet i get a add for dvd's... Well that is what my Apple IMac does for me .. It does not bother me i was looking for that stuff any way .. So i do at times get things here that i looked up before across the top .. this IMac remembers every thing i do..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
OK i was looking up things on Best Buy last night and now there is a add for Best Buy up on top for me ..And i have Nationwide insurance and looked them up last night and now there is a add up for nationwide .. I don't even look at the adds up there half the time ... Just watch what you look up it will come back to you some times ...................................................... DSCN0767.JPG

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't noticed obnoxious ads here. One of the reasons I'm hanging onto my old software & OS is the pop-up blockers. ;-)

S

stefen

Controlling is simple.

First listen to advice.

Second, if you don't like what you see simply hit the off button.

Third, change the channel.

Fourth, get a life.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I noticed that an item I placed in my eBay "Watch List" is at the top of the TNet web page!
That's disturbing...well, at least we KNOW we're being tracked!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be fair... the Blue -Screen -Of -Death "YOU HAVE A VIRUS" ad is a bit over the top.

It takes over your audio, and screams at you.

I have no complaint at all with the site advertising. I'm about as capitalist as they come...

But that particular ad is beyond dishonest.

I have not seen/heard this Ad on TreasureNet, But I have gotten The Audio Warning a couple times
in the last year or so. Been a few months.
both times it was while researching and I went too deep.
(probably had at least 10 windows open below on my way down)
It is irritating when they blast over my Audio.
But I just run My Adware and Virus protection just in Case.

It is possible they are paying Google to allow them to Spam internet subscribers,
But as Treasure Hunter says, log in, it should disappear.

either way Most people should realize an Audio Warning is Pure Terrorism,
& not how legit Virus Protection Works.

and even so, Blame Google, not TreasureNet.
google is the king of internet spam

Last edited:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

Yeah, I was aware (at least generally) that TNet didn't have control over specific ad content.

And it's not like I was actually fooled by "You Have a Virus". (just annoyed). It's the kind of ad you'd expect on less reputable websites.

That said, I understand the revenue benefit. Moreover, I'd likely never see the ads if I stayed logged in. (which brings up another issue). I can't stay logged in with my browser. (Firefox).

If I select the "stay logged in" option, the best I can get is pre-filled username and password. Still have to log in with each visit. Not sure if this is true for others.

(Now that I think about it, I may have cookies turned off).

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

Yeah, I was aware (at least generally) that TNet didn't have control over specific ad content.

And it's not like I was actually fooled by "You Have a Virus". (just annoyed). It's the kind of ad you'd expect on less reputable websites.

That said, I understand the revenue benefit. Moreover, I'd likely never see the ads if I stayed logged in. (which brings up another issue). I can't stay logged in with my browser. (Firefox).

If I select the "stay logged in" option, the best I can get is pre-filled username and password. Still have to log in with each visit. Not sure if this is true for others.

I use Firefox & stay logged in

My History Setting

Unt.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeff,

I have found that if doing a long post or if I got interrupted and it takes longer, the site has to be logged into again. I was reading this thread last night got an insurance ad beside the post and up on the header and I was not signed in any longer. Other times it's not an issue for some reason and I just think it's maybe an interruption in the downloading of content from the satellite and I loose the sign in, also sometimes when I bring up a new page to look something up while I'm in a thread/post, so I have learnt to stay on the main menu page and it doesn't happen, strange but true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread