What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Green brass thingie

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
3,610
Reaction score
11,521
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800 & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Took my Deus 2 out for its first hunt and found this thingies in the yard of a 1850’s -60’s cellar hole. It was about 10” down, the ball is ( was till I cleaned it) a swivel mechanism that plunged the metal bar down. We were thinking bottle stop but I couldn’t find anything even close on my internet search. Any ideas???
thanks
 

Attachments

  • F855640C-A7C8-4FB5-9EFB-B33BE1B0F36E.webp
    F855640C-A7C8-4FB5-9EFB-B33BE1B0F36E.webp
    750 KB · Views: 185
  • 551EDC89-E5A5-4115-9D25-7DBA9BB59150.webp
    551EDC89-E5A5-4115-9D25-7DBA9BB59150.webp
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 6FFEF6D7-AE1C-4C84-BC86-C17B0C0DBB87.webp
    6FFEF6D7-AE1C-4C84-BC86-C17B0C0DBB87.webp
    762 KB · Views: 151
Took my Deus 2 out for its first hunt and found this thingies in the yard of a 1850’s -60’s cellar hole. It was about 10” down, the ball is ( was till I cleaned it) a swivel mechanism that plunged the metal bar down. We were thinking bottle stop but I couldn’t find anything even close on my internet search. Any ideas???
thanks
People find it hard to believe that hundreds of years ago people were making “hi-tech” thingies. Old is gold!
 
Upvote 3
Took my Deus 2 out for its first hunt and found this thingies in the yard of a 1850’s -60’s cellar hole. It was about 10” down, the ball is ( was till I cleaned it) a swivel mechanism that plunged the metal bar down. We were thinking bottle stop but I couldn’t find anything even close on my internet search. Any ideas???
thanks
Got me. I will get the guessing going. How about a door knocker? I will look again later, and it is likely easy, but I cannot see it right now. I hope someone gets it.
 
Upvote 3
Too small Trav, it’s a head scratcher
 
Upvote 4
Maybe a latch of some sort? Missing the business end of course.
 
Upvote 3
Maybe some kind of pressure relief for an old radiator, auto or home I don't know which.
 
Upvote 2
Interesting piece there JD. Fancy clock bell clanger ??

Still waiting on D2. Did you get the 9" or 11" coil?
 
Upvote 1
Looks similar to part of an early flyweight governor,.....but I could be way off.
 

Attachments

  • AC42DC7B-F9D6-4323-BCF7-1F6995FDBA07.webp
    AC42DC7B-F9D6-4323-BCF7-1F6995FDBA07.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 2
Maybe the clapper from a kid's bell pull toy. Some had a shaft connected to the axle so it would swing the clapper and ring a bell when pulled. Popular in the late 19th to early 20th C.
 
Upvote 1
What about part of an old mechanical clock mechanism? With as ornate as it is, it was definitely meant to be seen. The thin rod looks like it should move up and down and the ball would be weight for inertia possibly. Just a guess.
 
Upvote 1
What about part of an old mechanical clock mechanism? With as ornate as it is, it was definitely meant to be seen. The thin rod looks like it should move up and down and the ball would be weight for inertia possibly. Just a guess.
That also crossed my mind. I looked at alarm clocks and ornate mantel clocks with bells but didn't see anything close. I looked at mechanical doorbells as well... Nada...

I agree this piece was "meant to be seen". It is ornate but not a precision part to my eye. That's why I went with the toy guess.
 
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom