Green Bug

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saw this critter hanging out above the door into my garage. Never seen one before, but it's a cool looking bug.

Any ideas on what it is?

DSCF9877.jpg

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe it is a tree cricket.

I believe you're right. Only difference I can see is the one I took the pic of has no wings. I wonder if they lose them, or if it hasn't grown them yet. Seems a bit late in the year for that sort of thing.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I thought katydid initially, but never saw a wingless one. I’d guess a variety of bush cricket.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s interesting. It looks to me like a female Southern Oak Bush-Cricket (Meconema meridionale). It’s flightless, although mature adults do have tiny stunted vestigial wings which you may not notice.

It’s a European species which has been spreading since 1960, was first reported in England in 2001, and since 2017 has been reported in America in both New York and Washington States. It’s said to be rare, except in the area around Seattle.

The first reports in America were initially (mis-) attributed to wingless nymphs of the related Oak Bush-Cricket or Drumming Katydid (Meconema thalassinum) but nymphs for that species usually emerge in late spring and reach maturity by late summer with fully-fledged wings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It’s a European species which has been spreading since 1960, was first reported in England in 2001, and since 2017 has been reported in America in both New York and Washington States. It’s said to be rare, except in the area around Seattle.

That's interesting stuff. I live about 125 miles NE of Seattle, and in very heavily wooded country at the base of the N. Cascades, a large mountain range.

Gotta wonder how it traveled this far.

Didn't bother it other than taking it's picture, but I'll be watching for them in the future.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting stuff. I live about 125 miles NE of Seattle, and in very heavily wooded country at the base of the N. Cascades, a large mountain range.

Gotta wonder how it traveled this far.

Didn't bother it other than taking it's picture, but I'll be watching for them in the future.

Given they can't fly, they must have arrived by boat. Probably transporters that have had a European lumber cargo at some time.

We see them in our house from time to time. Haven't seen one in any of our trees but they sit on the window ledges and hop inside if we leave a window open. We're about 50 miles from the nearest commercial seaport. They should be quite at home where you are. Their native habitat was in the wooded Alpine regions of Europe.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great another invader. These critters are getting around everywhere. My daughter works at a Trader Joe's here in Colorado. She text me this picture of a little Gecko that hitched a ride on a shipment of wine that originated from a port in Texas.

Attachments

• IMG_20231023_211639.jpg
    IMG_20231023_211639.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread