Green inside a quartz rock i busted yesterday, have any ideas?

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this quartz rock on the farm on a hillside about the size if a hubcap so I cleaned off around the top of it and turned out it was as big as a tractor trailer tire. I busted some of it and saw this green inside. Don't know what it is but it shines a lot when wet but when dry it is dull. Your guess is as good as mine, help if you can, thanks. Rock with green in it 001.JPG Rock with green in it 002.JPG Rock with green in it 004.JPG Rock with green in it 010.JPG Rock with green in it 012.JPG
Top of the rock is the picture with black lines and specks.

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My guess is some sort of algae...

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish I knew more. The green makes me think of moss agate, but the white is more quartz looking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The green goes all the way through it in some places and the rock is more granulated than a lot of quartz I have found. Will Algae or Moss go through a rock?Thanks to all.

Upvote 0

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The green goes all the way through it in some places and the rock is more granulated than a lot of quartz I have found. Will Algae or Moss go through a rock?Thanks to all.

Possibly, It may also be stained by some sort of mineral.

Upvote 0

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think what you have found is a copper sulfite ore sample. There are dozens of different varieties and names depending on what other trace minerals it is mixed with. here is a pictorial guide to help you determine which might be closest to the one you have.Alan Guisewite's Mineral Collection Images: Copper Minerals Page

If i were you I would definitely explore further in that area as copper deposits often go hand in hand with silver. I'm from Michigan and we have a whole lot of both in the U.P.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread