Greets from a novice

CtrlFreak

Apr 9, 2013
Orbost VIC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there :hello:

Yesterday I was given an old Garrett Groundhog Coin Hunter by my great uncle. I understand it's quite outdated but that doesn't trouble me. The old fella assures me it's a good detector to learn with and after reading some online forums and articles, I see it can be quite a capable detector. It's in immaculate condition, came with the instruction manual and a 2nd bigger coil, plus a pile of old treasure hunting books from here in Australia, and hand-drawn maps of certain areas he used to hunt. I'm told that if I make a few finds and prove that I can use the detector, he will give me his other detector which is also old but it's his favourite detector, a Red Baron.

I'm more interested in finding old relics, coins and stuff than gold nuggets so I'm told this old girl is worth having.

Anyway. Nice to be here and I look forward to reading up and learning, peace. :)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's not a thing wrong with older machines, my old 6000D still pulls all kinds of coins from their graves! Your Great Uncle has gifted you with more than a detector, he's given you an interesting hobby as well as a machine that he used to enjoy a great deal and I'd guess he's hoping you enjoy it enough to get involved in the hobby/pastime. Congratulations on the new machine and best of luck with it. Practice, a coin detecting garden with various targets planted in it will help a lot and practice............63bkpkr

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Lake Champlain. Good luck and happy hunting. You're lucky to have been given a gift that will open many future adventures.:hello2:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Australia for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread