What's new

Grommet

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find these all the time at old home sites. Looks like a grommet but I'm not sure. Anyone?
 

Attachments

  • grommet.webp
    grommet.webp
    3.7 KB · Views: 227
It's part of a parasol or umbrella. There was an item about these in Mark Parker's column in the June 2006 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures. I couldn't find it online, but here's a quote from it:

Actually, it’s part of the hardware from an old umbrella, and the notches are where the ribs or stretchers were held in place. The ribs of an umbrella’s canopy fit into what’s called a “top notch”; and the stretchers, the shorter lengths that attach the ribs to the shaft, are connected to a “runner,” the piece that moves up and down the umbrella shaft when the canopy is opened or closed. Quite a few of these turn up in Civil War camps, and many relic hunters refer to them as “parasol braces.”
 
Upvote 0
I hate these, they are good signals & I get 1 or 2 on most of my hunts.
 
Upvote 0
Awesome...thanks for the ID PBK...!
 
Upvote 0
parasol clip.webpparasol clip1.webp




Regards,



Buckleboy
 

Attachments

  • parasol clip.webp
    parasol clip.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 178
  • parasol clip1.webp
    parasol clip1.webp
    28.5 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom