What's new

Ground slate

mainejman

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
1,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These pieces are hexagonal ground slate.Although they are not matching pieces.One can get an idea what the piece looked like in its entirety....a ground slate bayonet...late Archaic...and my favorite stuff to find...mjm IMAG1131.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMAG1131.webp
    IMAG1131.webp
    142.9 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 0
Whoa. I've never seen anything like that. Awesome....
 
Now thats a neat find. Did you find it?
 
Really interesting ..... Some nice artifacts shown in the video and a lot of info I was clueless about.
 
Now thats a neat find. Did you find it?
Yes rock over the years...like I said these are just random pieces I stuck together so people could get an idea what the finished bayonet looked like...
 
That is probably one of the better/rarer artifacts I've seen posted on here. I'd love to see some close ups of the blade edge. It sounds odd to think of people spear fishing for swordfish, but it's been a common way to hunt them for thousands of years. Some species come up to shallow top water at night and aren't apparently afraid of boats.

I saw a picture of a complete one found in a dredge, it looked like it was machined it was so perfect. Can you imagine all the non-gold treasures out there in the deep waters where those guys hunted.
 
The degree of perfection of the workmanship on these bayonets is amazing..The angles and the unflawed straightness of the edges leads me to believe some type of guides were used..I wish I had better pics...IMAG1147.webp
 
Check this out I would be willing to bet this is a first for you all.A piece of banded slate bayonet repurposed into another tool.Notice how the top has been rounded also both edges are roughed up which is not the norm for these slate pieces...IMAG1150.webp
 
Very nice enjoyed the video also, thanks for the look....
 
very neat stuff,thanks mainejman
 
Check this out I would be willing to bet this is a first for you all.A piece of banded slate bayonet repurposed into another tool.Notice how the top has been rounded also both edges are roughed up which is not the norm for these slate pieces..

That looks a lot like one of the pieces in the video.

Very interesting video, looks like I may have to read that book as it left me wondering about these people. Would like to see more of the artifacts for sure.
 
Check out my threads most of the the stuff is in that time frame.
 
I saw in the video that the banded slate came from around the great lakes area.I have a full channeled gouge made of banded slate that is seven or eight thousand years old....mjm
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom