gun. browning ,made belgium

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
i tryed putting this in another form but did not get no info, i hope know one minds me putting it here :-\ my sis is cleaning out her boy friends house and he showed me this shotgun. its got a gold trigger its a semi auto 20 ga. can anyone tell me how old it is. he is suposed to bring it over to night to look at the markings on it. i should have done it when i took the pic but at the time the 600$ price he had on it made me run for the door ;D now he wants 500$ thanks for any help? :)

Attachments

• !001.jpg
    !001.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 875
  • !001.jpg
    !001.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 808

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Here is a croped picture, easier to see.

I believe it is an A-5 Light 20, made in belgum from 1958-1976, after that made in Japan.

Attachments

• cropped.jpg
    cropped.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,155
Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Go to google and type in browning manufacture dates. Yous hud be able to see what year it was made. If you need any help send me a pm...d2

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
jon43 said:
think its worth 500$ ;D :-\

While searching some models it looks like $500 - $950.

But DAMN! It's your future brother in law and besides your sister is over there cleaning his place. Offer him $20.00 and go from there ;)

Tony

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jon43 said:

What Angelo said. :D

But yes, any FN Browning in nice shape is a premo shotgun. The 16 Ga. humpback "Sweet-16"s used to command high prices locally because they were the best deer gun around (we are limited to slugs in most counties hereabouts). I'd never put a value on any firearm without inspecting it. Too much that the camera doesn't see that can effect value.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
thanks too you all and it is a A-5. thanks tony, i looked on the site but could not find the no#.i seen a no# were you load the shells and it is: 2z 56931. I'm thanking from the 50s or 60s??? but could be wrong ck this out, Bonny and Clyde had a older one in there guns :-\ up on the left

Attachments

• fhjr.jpg
    fhjr.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 789
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Charlie P. (NY) said:
jon43 said:

What Angelo said. :D

But yes, any FN Browning in nice shape is a premo shotgun. The 16 Ga. humpback "Sweet-16"s used to command high prices locally because they were the best deer gun around (we are limited to slugs in most counties hereabouts). I'd never put a value on any firearm without inspecting it. Too much that the camera doesn't see that can effect value.
thanks charlie, its got light rust spots on it but no big deal. its got a pic of a man on one side i guess thats were the serl no# was were you load the shells :-\? i hope to find out more about it but 500$ on payments is not to bad. he was mad but my sister ,no guns in her house ::)

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm out of practice on this (a recovering gun nut) but the "bag" grip on your BIL's makes me think it is an older version, but you'll have to check the serial number "oddities" on the link below. The "2Z" prefix throws me.

If it's Belgian it was made after 1952. Prior to that they were all made in Utah. I had a 1952 Safari Grade .270 bolt-action Fabrique National (FN - Belgium) that I paid $700 for, sold two years later for $1,000 and sure wish I still had today. Could probably add a zero to the end of those amounts. Had a burlwood walnut stock that I will never be able to afford in another firearm. Wasn't particularly accurate and at the time I thought that was the end-all of why firearms existed. Live and learn.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-auto-5-history

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jon43

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Charlie P. (NY) said:
I'm out of practice on this (a recovering gun nut) but the "bag" grip on your BIL's makes me think it is an older version, but you'll have to check the serial number "oddities" on the link below. The "2Z" prefix throws me.

If it's Belgian it was made after 1952. Prior to that they were all made in Utah. I had a 1952 Safari Grade .270 bolt-action Fabrique National (FN - Belgium) that I paid $700 for, sold two years later for $1,000 and sure wish I still had today. Could probably add a zero to the end of those amounts. Had a burlwood walnut stock that I will never be able to afford in another firearm. Wasn't particularly accurate and at the time I thought that was the end-all of why firearms existed. Live and learn.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-auto-5-history
thanks for the link. im looking at the gun again now and on the end it has:browning arms company st louis mo &montreal pq made in belguim

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
My first shotgun was a "Sweet Sixteen" Browning A-5. Nice gun. The rounded end on the stock grip indicates a hand carved and checkered stock. I bought mine in about 1967 and it had the round end. My next A-5 bought about 12 years later (if I am remembering the dates correctly) still made in Belgium but had a squared off end to the stock grip. That indicated that they had changed over to machined stocks and checkering. There is a difference in how the gun grips and handles. There is nothing like a good hand checkering job on a fine gun. When I got sick, I had to give up all my guns or I could run downstairs to the safe and give you some serial numbers. I look at the A-5s when I go to my local big sporting goods store. The modern ones retail for about $400-$500. A ventilated rib puts it closer to the $500 mark. Rust anywhere really drops the price. There were so many A-5s made that you can easily find one with no rust whatsoever. Finding a Belgium made gun with a hand carved stock on the other hand with no rust is a different story. If it is chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" shells that is a good thing. A 20 gauge for 2 3/4" shells only can be a problem as it is on the low end for power and load size. They make great grouse guns and other wing shooting and they are very light and easy to carry. They don't do so well on Canada geese. There are just so many variables, it is hard to say if it's worth the money to you. If the barrel length, choke, chamber length, and gauge all fit with what you want to hunt with it, then it is definitely worth the money. If one of these if off, you may not be as happy with the gun as you think and you will be shopping for a new barrel which costs as much as the gun.

One other thing. If it is full choke or more and has been used to shoot slugs, there is a possibility that the choke has been "inverted." If you think this is what it was used for, have someone "mic" the end of the barrel in the choke region to see if the barrel has any outward bulge to it. If so, just say no.

Oh well. My 2 cents worth.

Daryl

Upvote 0

flip

Jan 29, 2005
kansas city/ osceola missouri
Detector(s) used
garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba
An old trick to remove light rust is put a little oil on the rusted area and lay a copper penny (pre1980) flat and lightly rub. Works great and wont damage the bluing.

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Remington made an identical shotgun using the Browning patent. I had one with birdseye maple stock and foregrip. Great for using in a blind but too heavy to carry for any length of time in the field. A Remington in fair condition will bring an easy $1000 to $1500. Mine was in the $3500 range in the mid-90's.

Prefer my double - side X side La Fever with left barrel full choke.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John Moses Browning was a resourceful man. Remington, Winchester ('86, '92, '94, '95 rifles & several shotguns), Ithaca (the M-37 Deerslayer was his design), Colt (the 1911 ACP & most of their early auto pistols), The M-2 .50 cal HMG designed in 1921 and still in use with the U.S. Military! - he designed LOTS of guns for lots of manufacturers.

Now if you're going to split threads and discuss doubles - I have a .20 Ithaca/SKB 200-E with three barrel pairs (Sk/Sk, IC/M, F/F) that I'm taking with me when I go.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easily worth $500.00 even with the light rust. The rust won't hurt as long as there is not pitting beneath it. This is pretty much a classic shotgun and very desirable not just to collectors but to guys or gals who intend to hunt with them. Any gun with the words Made in Belgium and Browning on it is at a premium. Monty

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Charlie P. (NY) said:
John Moses Browning was a resourceful man. Remington, Winchester ('86, '92, '94, '95 rifles & several shotguns), Ithaca (the M-37 Deerslayer was his design), Colt (the 1911 ACP & most of their early auto pistols), The M-2 .50 cal HMG designed in 1921 and still in use with the U.S. Military! - he designed LOTS of guns for lots of manufacturers.

Now if you're going to split threads and discuss doubles - I have a .20 Ithaca/SKB 200-E with three barrel pairs (Sk/Sk, IC/M, F/F) that I'm taking with me when I go.

Good info...Browning was a very prolific arms designer...designed some of the finest auto's that are still in use today.

As for doubles...that can be another thread

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread