Gunpowder Flask and 2 US Navy Civil War Era (or earlier?) Buttons

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the copper flask a good ten inches deep bound in roots. This site has not given me quantity but did recently yield a 1723 KGI Halfpence, 1722 Rosa Americana 2P, and an ornate Georgian shoe buckle fragment. Found not far from our area's first 1650's settlement. I don't see many nails, only small pieces giving me the impression the nails were reclaimed long ago. Iron was scarce and valuable early on. This is my second powder flask within a couple of months, and they were 5 miles or so apart.

The two Navy buttons were found about a half mile away and most likely from a different farm dwelling. The backs are rotted off. Since I was looking at a lot of old shotgun shell bases (minus the paper) around them, it took persistence to find these as they give a similar signal signature. I have found variations of these buttons before. The fishermen and whalers in my area quite often served in the US Navy.
tres392b.jpg
tres393.jpg
tres394.jpg

Running the Nox 900 with maxed sensitivity at 28 in Relic I (I always hunt this way in the woods), the deep targets often give a gravely signal with numbers that jump around. I have been hunting these old deep colonial sites mostly by tone (11" coil). I don't even pay attention to numbers. When I'm in an area that was most likely a former dwelling spot the 900 will give give me light background chatter on the small deep iron. When I switch to pinpoint mode, non-iron metals will give the higher pitch. Only through repeated digging have I developed confidence in my ability to identify small iron. Certainly around an object such as this flask I did dig every deep signal even though I was pretty sure they were small nail frags.

Upvote 19

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Saves of the powder flask and the 2 Naval buttons. Well Done and Congrat's on some nice pieces of Saved History. The detail is still very good on the powder flask.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found the copper flask a good ten inches deep bound in roots. This site has not given me quantity but did recently yield a 1723 KGI Halfpence, 1722 Rosa Americana 2P, and an ornate Georgian shoe buckle fragment. Found not far from our area's first 1650's settlement. I don't see many nails, only small pieces giving me the impression the nails were reclaimed long ago. Iron was scarce and valuable early on. This is my second powder flask within a couple of months, and they were 5 miles or so apart.

The two Navy buttons were found about a half mile away and most likely from a different farm dwelling. The backs are rotted off. Since I was looking at a lot of old shotgun shell bases (minus the paper) around them, it took persistence to find these as they give a similar signal signature. I have found variations of these buttons before. The fishermen and whalers in my area quite often served in the US Navy. View attachment 2075959 View attachment 2075960 View attachment 2075961

Running the Nox 900 with maxed sensitivity at 28 in Relic I (I always hunt this way in the woods), the deep targets often give a gravely signal with numbers that jump around. I have been hunting these old deep colonial sites mostly by tone (11" coil). I don't even pay attention to numbers. When I'm in an area that was most likely a former dwelling spot the 900 will give give me light background chatter on the small deep iron. When I switch to pinpoint mode, non-iron metals will give the higher pitch. Only through repeated digging have I developed confidence in my ability to identify small iron. Certainly around an object such as this flask I did dig every deep signal even though I was pretty sure they were small nail frags.
Your persistence is really paying off. Congratulations on the nice finds!

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The two Navy buttons were found about a half mile away and most likely from a different farm dwelling. The backs are rotted off. Since I was looking at a lot of old shotgun shell bases (minus the paper) around them, it took persistence to find these as they give a similar signal signature. I have found variations of these buttons before. The fishermen and whalers in my area quite often served in the US Navy. View attachment 2075959 View attachment 2075960 View attachment 2075961

Beautiful flask. Congrats

river roamer

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2022
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II Excalibur 1000 Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on your finds:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright: Thanks for sharing some more info on the Nox 900

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread