GW inaugeral button and civil war bullets!!

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed to wv this weekend to try to find some civil war bullets. My friend and got up this morning and hit a old site of area and after a couple hours I didn't have anything and he only had a Couple musket balls. So we headed to a field next to a civil war skirmish site and I left with only a flat button and friend found nothing. On the way back to his house there is a small field we've wanted to hunt for a while. I pulled up and lucky the owner was there and gave us permission. We walked in the field and there was trash everywhere and large areas covered with a old road. Every signal at first was beer cans so we moved to the top side of the field when I get a good signal and out pops my first three ringer in 2 years. Two feet later another, both shot. My friend walked up 20 ft in front of me hoping to get some bullets but instead I see him doing a crazy happy dance and yelling lol. He runs over and I said what you find and he said I don't know and handed it to me and I about passed out he found my dream find. A gw linked states button in great shape except no shank. Well I am happy for him but know I'm going back tomorrow to find mine. I ended up with seven bullets a 1867 nickel and a 1944 nickel. He got five bullets and a flat button and of course the gw. It's a great trip so far can't wait till tomorrow.

Attachments

• image-2762726555.jpg
    image-2762726555.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 169
  • image-3845039050.jpg
    image-3845039050.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 184
  • image-4255826351.jpg
    image-4255826351.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 165
  • image-4001617224.jpg
    image-4001617224.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 25

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Where and the heck do you all get permission to sites like this for when I knock on the door of a home owner they open, take one look and say not here buddy ,slam!!!You would think they thought I was a family member seldom scene asking for money. I see so much colonial finds on treasure net and I just am amazed what has yet to be discovered that has to do with colonial civilization . I keep telling myself one of these days well I hope its soon.You all keep on digging for I enjoy looking at the finds .They say no two are alike well maybe a few but then again always something different on this site.vanzutphen

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where and the heck do you all get permission to sites like this for when I knock on the door of a home owner they open, take one look and say not here buddy ,slam!!!You would think they thought I was a family member seldom scene asking for money. I see so much colonial finds on treasure net and I just am amazed what has yet to be discovered that has to do with colonial civilization . I keep telling myself one of these days well I hope its soon.You all keep on digging for I enjoy looking at the finds .They say no two are alike well maybe a few but then again always something different on this site.vanzutphen

Hey bud,
I personally never knock on a door. Ideally I'm able to catch somebody outside. If not I will send a hand written letter to the property owner. The problem with knocking on doors is that you're likely interrupting somebody who is enjoying some peaceful time at home. You also just don't know what kind of mood or situation you're catching someone in. I also always make sure I have all of the history about the property that I can possibly find. Know your information and your passion will normally shine through if you truly love history. Knowing this info makes it less some some stranger soliciting them to go randomly dig a bunch of holes in there yard and more like somebody who reay cares about history and and knows about those that may have been on the property before them. Usually this will strike a chord and get them engaged and interested, especially if they know some of the history already.
The beauty of writing a letter is that it gives you the opportunity to really convey everything that you want to. You won't get interrupted and you won't leave anything out. You can also change some things after you read it. If you say something stupid face to face you can't hit the rewind button and start over. The other great thing about a letter is that they can read it at their convenience. Likely after a long day at work when they're relaxing for a few minutes. I always hand write the letters as it makes it much more personal. I leave my phone number and my email. I know that some will disagree with me on writing a letter but I have had success with it. When we are able to really express ourselves without interruption it's the easiest way to say all of the things that we want to say. But if you're able to catch somebody out in the yard playing with the dog or raking or whatnot that is also a great opportunity. My belief is that if you're truly passionate people can sense that and it really engaged them and gets them excited. Good luck out there, Abe

OP
OP
collector01

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replys, it was exciting just to witness it being dug by my best friend. We went back for a hour this morning before my five hour ride home I got a 69 cal 3 ringer and he got a 58 cal that was pulled and a small button. Not sure how the gw got there its just a small field next to a picket line. There are two mid 1700s houses within 200 yrds probably came from one them. And for getting permission this site has a mechanic shop on it I just pulled up asked if they owned the field and what I wanted to do and he said it was he's and have at it. Some times it's that simple but not always lol.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer GW your buddy found!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the GW club:headbang:

Well your friend that is..Now pound that place to death!!

~Blaze~

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowzers, what a great find!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your friend did well...hope you get yours soon!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread