H.M.S. Rolla

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
1812 Thomas BROWN, Madeira. She was actively employed on the coast of North America during the war and on 10 December 1813 she captured the ROLLA privateer of 5 guns and 8O men which had sailed from Newport the night before.

http://books.google.com/books?id=W_...ts=VSkzVPZSD7&sig=pf5EdhO07mdpChKOKZJZTv0GBPM

Palmer, Benjamin F. THE DIARY OF BENJAMIN F. PALMER PRIVATEERSMAN. n.p. 1914. b/w frontis. xxiii, 274 pp. Palmer served aboard the privateer Rolla in the War of 1812. He was captured by the British toward the end of 1813 and taken to Dartmoor, where this journal was begun. "His powers of observation are keen and he gives us a vivid story of life on the ships at Bermuda, and after his experiences at Melville Island..." (Introduction) Howes P-44. Privately printed and scarce, #37 of 102 copies. Unopened in original wrappers. A Fine copy. $150

The last of Barrett's Privateers

The song exagerates the battle risks of privateering, offering us a case of a crew who all perish in battle except the singer. No Canadian privateering vessel suffered such a fate in battle. The closest match in reality is probably the schooner Rolla, which sank in an 1815 storm with all hands.

Rolla info http://books.google.com/books?id=Jk...ts=yDdrEs5PyR&sig=STN9yKU07w5imyHzG_I6ar_TZr0

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found some info

in 1820 after a bad storm remains of the ship washed up on a ESSEX COUNTY MA SHORE LINE??? does not give much more info..could it be the wreck on Salisbury beach??

OP
OP
capt. sparrow

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
North Shore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
That's the same info I got. Is the wreck off Salisbury visible. I keep hunting cranes beach in Ipswich hoping to find some of that booty you guys get up there. No luck yet.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wreck that you can often see the remains of down from the end of the main street and near the old pavilion is the Jennie M. Carter - here's a recent and very good number of photos both old and new of it.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?14,648499,page=1

Other wrecks that occurred along Salisbury beach include the Virginian, the Florida, the Sir Francis and the Marble Bird. I haven't had time to research as much as I would like this winter, but I don't believe any of these contained any "treasures."

There are also supposed to be at least 2-3 ships that sunk off the coast in that area (Seabrook, Salisbury, Plum Island) that were reported as having loot of one kind or another on board. The Rolla could very well be one of them.

I've spent most of this winter learning how to do research by investigating stories regarding the Lost Dutchman Mine in Arizona (which I've been interested in for a few years now) and I'm getting much better at knowing where to go and how to find the right information.

I might take a week off to putter around the house this summer and if I do, I'll see what I can dig up on any potentially valuable wrecks and specifically where they occurred along the shoreline there.

Capt. Sparrow - I hunted Crane Beach a couple times last year as well and had very little luck. I don't know if it's typical there, but I noticed very little surf movement both times and the sand seemed VERY compacted - I assumed that had alot to do with why I didn't find much. Not sure if that's what it's always like, but I was disappointed as well.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Salisbury wrecks

that wreck in the photos...if you go almost straight out to sea from it there is another wreck...on a good negative tide you can almost walk/wade out to it ...this all depends on sand movement too...some times it's covered with sand not able to be seen don't know of any loot found on it ?? but...just north of Salisbury center theres another wreck it has given up many pieces of Spanish silver 2,4,+8 reale's cobs these are all dated late 1600's...then there is the wreck Victor Ricardo has the rights to its a little further up the beach I think???????? That wreck gives up milled reale's early 1700's the ones I have seen were 1714,15+16 4 reales and 8's....I wish I was detecting there during the 78 blizzard!! must have been great!!

Attachments

• index (Large) (2).jpg
    index (Large) (2).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 502
  • index (Large).jpg
    index (Large).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 446

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I was detecting there during the 78 blizzard!! must have been great!!

Ain't that the truth!!!

I haven't run across Mr. Ricardo yet although I know some folks have. I've read some of the meeting minutes for the Board of Archeological Underwater Resources where Mr. Ricardo talks a bit about his Reconnaissance Permit and what he's been working on out there, but they haven't been keeping up with posting the minutes regularly.

As I understand it, a Reconnaissance Permit only allows one to survey and look around the site - not to recover anything. It was interesting to read that at one point, Mr. Ricardo believed his underwater camera showed possible human remains.

As much as I hate to say it, I do hope we get one of those big ol' storms yet this spring!

Oh - before I forget BH, do you have a copy of the Arcadia Published "Images of America - Salisbury Beach" book? The series of "Images of America" books are great - they're absolutely full of old photos, and informative notes to go along with them. The Salisbury Beach one has some really nice photos - things I haven't seen anywhere else. If you don't have any luck finding the book (I believe it's out of print now), let me know and I'll see if I can get you a copy - I think you'd like it alot.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
WRECK

I think he has removed a few thing's he's got photos on the web page.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: WRECK

BEACH-HUNTER said:
I think he has removed a few thing's he's got photos on the web page.

I understood those items were claimed to have been found on shore - whether that's true or not is anyone's guess, but I believe a Reconnaissance Permit doesn't allow for any type of salvage or disturbance of the wreck itself - I'm not sure how it would relate to items discovered say on the ocean floor within the permit area and whether a diver could recover items that took nothing more than reaching down and picking up.

Odds are there's very little that could just be "picked up" like that - after that many years I would think all of the smaller items would have sunk into the sands and need to be exposed first, but who knows.

It's an interesting story though - I would assume the Reconnaissance Permit is just the first step in trying to prove what you've found and eventually one would try to get a permit for true study and recovery of items from it. I wonder if Reconnaissance Permits are in the public domain - I'll make a phone call and see if anyone can get a copy of someone's permit.

OP
OP
capt. sparrow

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
North Shore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Cubfan, yeah Crane's seems like it's always calm which is a shame because the way it looks on a map, it's basically an extension of plum island. So you would think there would be some loot blown in from one of those wrecks.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case anyone is interested...

2.06: Issuance of Permits

The Board issues permits to persons who have located a shipwreck or other resource for
purposes of investigation, exploration, recovery, reporting, and/or conservation of underwater
archaeological resources if the Board deems that such operations are in the public interest. No
person shall remove, displace, damage or destroy a resource without the Board's permission, except
for minimal artifact collection (entailing minimal site disruption) for purposes of establishing the
existence of an underwater archaeological resource. Permitees shall report, catalogue and inventory
all recovered artifacts to the Board. Permits shall not be issued in the absence of demonstrable proof
of the existence of a resource.

(1) Permit Types. The Board issues two kinds of permits, one for reconnaissance and one for
excavation.

(a) Reconnaissance - This permit is granted for the non-disruptive inspection and
identification of an underwater archaeological resource and is characterized by minimal site
disturbance. The purpose of the reconnaissance permit is to inventory the site, to protect
the discoverer's interest in the site, and to make available the protection and expertise of the
Board. Reconnaissance activities shall be limited to historical research, remote sensing,
visual or electronic observation, mapping, and limited collection of artifacts found without
excavation, solely for the purpose of identification or protection. All resources collected shall
be mapped, documented and conserved.

(b) Excavation - Excavation permits are granted to those who wish to uncover and/or recover
archaeological resources through the use of disruptive investigation techniques.
Disruptive investigation techniques include: the systematic removal, in sample or in entirety,
of artifacts or other resources from their context of discovery; or the use of excavation tools
or techniques (such as blowers, airlifts, suction, etc.) to expose resources which are buried in
the seabed or lake or river bottoms. Standards for archaeological recovery, recording and
reporting of underwater sites shall be maintained under an excavation permit. All recovered
resources shall be mapped, documented and conserved.

2.07: Permit Applications

(1) No person may remove, displace, damage or destroy any underwater archaeological resource
except in conformity with a permit issued by the Board.
Any qualified person desiring to conduct any type of exploration, recovery or salvage operations, in
the course of which any resource may be removed, displaced, damaged or destroyed shall first make
application to the Board, through the Director, for a permit to conduct such operations.

(2) Confidentiality. All records pertaining to a permit application shall remain confidential until the
application is acted upon unless released by the applicant. The general location and description of a
resource shall be made public and published as part of the agenda for the Board's meeting. All
records pertaining to a permit application shall become public record after the Board acts on the
application. Provided, however, that the exact location of the resource shall at all times remain
confidential and shall not be a matter of public record.

(3) Application Contents. A complete application shall contain at a minimum, but not be limited to,
the following:

(a) Application form. Copies of application forms are available from the Director.

(b) A description of the nature of the resource and demonstrable proof that the resource is
present at the proposed site.

(c) A project description, which includes the purpose and goals of the proposed project plan.

(d) A description of the project plan, including any documentary research, on-site exploration,
proposed reconnaissance, testing, and/or excavation activities.

(e) A project schedule.

(f) A personnel/organization chart which identifies all key personnel, their qualifications,
duties and responsibilities (including but not limited to documentation that all divers are
certified).

(g) Identification of the Project Director and (where appropriate) Project Archaeologist with
appropriate qualifications.

(h) A project budget.

(i) A description of the plans to document activities and finds.

(j) A description of the artifact conservation program.

(k) A description of the inventory and catalogue, which shall be maintained for all recovered
artifacts.

(l) A copy of an approved chart/map clearly indicating the requested site.

(m) The latitude and longitude of the center point of the requested permit area.

(n) The application fee.

(o) The signature of the Project Director and the Project Archaeologist where the Board
requires that one be appointed.

(p) For corporate applicants, the applicant shall provide its Massachusetts certificate of
incorporation or certificate of doing business.

(q) A statement describing the applicant's current or prospective financial ability to carry out
the field and laboratory activities described in the application.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread