sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend stopped by earlier this week. Don't see him that often, so I was wondering what was up. I met him at his truck and soon as he steps out, he goes to handing me this stuff and I'm like in immediate overload. He was grinning ear to ear like a kid and I could see why. I had a feeling about where he found everything and he confirmed that it was a spot on his land. He found one of the blades in a wash and when he went to pick it up, spotted the other one sticking out next to it. They are pretty thin with only notching/stemming and edge retouch from being placed in service. First thing I told him was to go back and check that area out closely because although it could be just a cache of two, there could also be many more blades in that spot. The other item I just love. Don't know what the hell it is, but I love it. It appears to be made of steatite and my first thought was a barrel discoidal, but y'all may have other thoughts on it. Doesn't really strike me as an undrilled bannerstone although that's another possibility. The markings around the end edges I'm not sure about, being done by the maker as decoration or tally, or if they are just rodent gnaw marks, which I've seen on other steatite and greenstone artifacts. Anyway, I was tickled for him and glad that he shared them with me. Sure fuels the fire.

blades.jpg blades1.jpg

barrel disc 2.jpg barrel disc1.jpg

barrel disc.jpg barrel disc3.jpg

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like rodent gnawings to me as well. Not sure what it is either. My first thought was a hammer but material may be too soft.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gifts for sure. I'd say it's an unfinished Banner.

Oh, he didn't give them to me, just brought them by to show me. An old fellow and dear friend of mine told me once, "I know I can't have it all. I just want to see it." Just to see these artifacts and the excitement on his face was all I needed. He looked for arrowheads all his life, but I think this really stepped it up a notch for him. Thanks for your opinion on what the steatite object may be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread