What's new

Half collectors try this...but be careful!

Immy

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
2,999
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of you who have the blue Whitman folders for your half dollars know that the 1970-D hole is usually plugged with a cardboard disc that reads "Issued Only in Mint Sets." When I found my first 70-D it frustrated me that I couldn't fill the hole with it and make the set complete.

Well one day it bugged me enough that I decided to try something. If coins are popped out of their holes by pressing on the back, maybe I can do the same with that annoying disc. [NOTE: TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK] I gently but firmly pressed on the back of the hole. As I suspected, it was affixed to the album, but the disc came out just enough where I could grab it and pull it out. The interior of the hole wasn't smooth like the others but it came out cleanly and my 70-D fits beautifully in the hole.

If you plan on trying this be careful that the little "knobbies" on the north, south, east and west positions of the disc aren't still attached to the edge of the hole or they may tear the surface area around it. Do it with care and you'll have a great looking complete set!
 
Upvote 0
This sounds like a great plan. Could you please send me a 1970-D half so I could try it for myself? ::)
 
I have noticed a few whitman folders like that. When I decided to keep one of every date and mintmark I went whole hog and got a dansco album with the slide out plastic. I like it because it also has open slots for proofs.
 
I was able to "cut" the plug out of mine and insert the coin. I cut the 4 nodules, or whatever you want to call them, and it popped right out.
 
Immy said:
If you plan on trying this be careful that the little "knobbies" on the north, south, east and west positions of the disc aren't
packerbacker said:
...I cut the 4 nodules, or whatever you want to call them, and it popped right out.

I have been in the printing business for quite sometime and you are both incorrect on the proper printers word for those little bits of paper fiber that hold in the diecut disc.

I may get a slap on the hand for this but the proper correct term is TITS :o
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom