What's new

Half dollar size Silver something?

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2014
Messages
2,752
Reaction score
3,834
Golden Thread
2
Location
New York
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went for a short after work hunt to my new "hotspot", wasn't finding much tonight just clad, Wheaties, Jefferson nickels, and pull tabs, until I got a 1247 target ID on my CTX 3030. I was excited when this came out of the ground. Then the excitement faded when I couldn't make out any detail.

It appears to be the size of a half dollar and has the same tarnish color as all of the silver coins I recovered from the site. One side has some type of milky crust on it. Looks like something that was turned into a metal?

Enjoy the photos

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464141573.504242.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464141591.814873.webp
 
Upvote 10
Hey scrappy thanks for replying. Here are a couple more pictures of the rim, I see no pattern just very dented. If you notice in the picture though, the rim is worn thinner in the area of the holes like there was a string attached or something that wore away the metal.View attachment 1317766View attachment 1317767View attachment 1317768View attachment 1317769

Cool man, yeah, no pattern dangit. I'm torn because what CarolinaTom makes complete sense concerning wear, but I'm willing to bet that's a silver coin anyway.

Enjoy the mystery! Ain't it fun?!?!
 
I'm with scrappy in that I think the edge is quite interesting. Can't wait to see it in person. Bring it on Saturday when we get together.
 
Cool man, yeah, no pattern dangit. I'm torn because what CarolinaTom makes complete sense concerning wear, but I'm willing to bet that's a silver coin anyway.

Enjoy the mystery! Ain't it fun?!?!

"...willing to bet..." Now that sounds interesting.

I too, would have been convinced, if the edge was reeded, but no such luck. And the weight just isn't right.

The reeded edge could have been removed, and the rim profile altered by beating the edge with a spoon. Here is a silver quarter that someone started to make into a ring, no reeded edge. So, I guess we are right back where we started.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20150911_152748_018-1.webp
    IMG_20150911_152748_018-1.webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 103
"...willing to bet..." Now that sounds interesting.

I too, would have been convinced, if the edge was reeded, but no such luck. And the weight just isn't right.

The reeded edge could have been removed, and the rim profile altered by beating the edge with a spoon. Here is a silver quarter that someone started to make into a ring, no reeded edge. So, I guess we are right back where we started.

That quarter looks interesting and could explain a lot. But..... The weight not even being in the ballpark is concerning me (half-dollar weight that is). 30 grams less is quite a bit, the holes might reduce the weight by maybe a gram. The mid section is quite a bit thinner than a half-dollar which would explain the lighter weight. I'll get a Micrometer on it when I can borrow one. I think the next step is the Silver tester I ordered, at least confirm that.

I really appreciate everyone getting involved trying to solve this. It's really cool.
 
That quarter looks interesting and could explain a lot. But..... The weight not even being in the ballpark is concerning me (half-dollar weight that is). 30 grams less is quite a bit, the holes might reduce the weight by maybe a gram. The mid section is quite a bit thinner than a half-dollar which would explain the lighter weight. I'll get a Micrometer on it when I can borrow one. I think the next step is the Silver tester I ordered, at least confirm that.

I really appreciate everyone getting involved trying to solve this. It's really cool.

I think the weight was in grains. 190 grams would be 6 ounces.
 
160 grains = 10.3678256 grams
190 grains = 12.3117929 grams

according to Bing. So not really that far off
 
160 grains = 10.3678256 grams
190 grains = 12.3117929 grams

according to Bing. So not really that far off

You are correct sir. Grains.

For some odd reason, I have an in depth knowledge of the grams to ounces conversion rates... huh.
 
160 grains = 10.3678256 grams
190 grains = 12.3117929 grams

according to Bing. So not really that far off

OMG I'm shot !!! sorry about that.. I have to correct that. OUPS
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom