south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1608085234.706142.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1608085256.354286.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1608085273.280031.jpg
Found at a very new site, still looking for clues as to what and when so I can’t give much of a time frame. Looks like a casing bullet hybrid... there’s no rim or center fire pin but it looks like the top was crimped. I’ve found fired full metal jackets with similar grooves but they are always blown apart this one doesn’t seem fired. Is there such thing as a half metal jacket? Am I even on the right track thinking ammunition?

.24 outside diameter
.195 inside

dingode

Mar 28, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A jacket from a fired bullet no doubt. How the lead core fell out is a mystery.

Upvote 0

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A jacket from a fired bullet no doubt. How the lead core fell out is a mystery.
Maybe it was melted out? I've done that before... the last time I found a copper jacket bullet I was out camping and I got bored and decided to melt it. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fired semi-jacketed rifle bullet but odd in that it stops right at the crimp cannelure. Also a possible core separation (usually undesirable) unless someone separated it on purpose. But bullets sometimes do weird things before they stop.

A .243 or 6mm judging from your measurements.

Not military, as the jacket covers the nose for FMJ and the base is usually open so they can get the lead & other core items inside.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies, hard to say if it’s related to the new spot or not, I find slugs everywhere. I did find a few pieces of melted glass so maybe it did melt out. I’ve got a strong hunch the site is anywhere from 1860-1920 ish. I wonder if it’s an older semi jacket, I didn’t see any slugs that separated at the crimp.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread