Half of a Civil War Veteran Medal & Nice SLQ.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Half of a Civil War Veteran Medal & Nice SLQ.

Veterans day Nate was off of school and I had off work. The weekend before Nate had the detecting itch but only a little time so he went to the closest old park. This park has been hunted so much by us as well as clubs in the past that when we hunt this park we consider it a success if we find even a wheat penny. Well Nate of coarse comes home with silver and some wheat pennies. He hunted an area that we hunted a lot in our “early” days of detecting. So, he perked my interest and coerced me into a quick veterans day hunt.

Veteransdayhunt2008.jpg

It was only around 36 but I brought my wool hat and other “winter” gear. As we started hunting Nate scolded me because I wasn't going according to plan. I was distracted from the “old” stuff and going for the Gold – sand volleyball courts. ;D ;D After finding a couple quarters but no gold I started wandering around where he was. Dug some junk, a couple pennies and started thinking “why did I let him drag me out to this park on this cold day”..... A few minutes later I got a decent weird signal. It was surrounded by iron and deep (6-8”) and was surprised to see my first SLQ of the year! And it had a date! :icon_sunny:

SLQdirty640.jpg

Run over and show Nate who just says “Told you so”. :director: A few more minutes to recheck the area and I was done.

LocalParkfinds.jpg

SLQfront.jpg

My next hunt was this last Friday. The weather turned out much nicer than I expected. It got up to about 60. I had my gear packed in the car and was able to take off work a little early. Went to the nearby park where I found the Barber dime last week. 40 minutes and nothing but clad:
Cladonly.jpg

Drove over to the Hitchcock foundation site. The growth has died down and it has become a lot more huntable. Sorry for the crappy picture – cell phone.
HitchcockhousesiteNov142008.jpg

Hunted for about 45 minutes and found mostly junk. The couple belt buckles were encouraging and I was getting ready to leave when I found the small little pistol. 8) That was cool in itself. Then I found the headless cow. Cool I thought. How could Nate and I missed these? The last target was the best. I knew it was going to be good but when I got home and washed it up I was surprised to see it was civil war related:

20yearcivilwarveteranmetal.jpg

Part of a 20 year Veterans Medal. Very sweet. :sunny:

20yearcivilwarveteranmetalback.jpg

Here is what the whole thing would have looked like:
1886medalfullfront.jpg

The rest of the stuff from the site:
Hitchcockhouse111108trash.jpg

Hitchcockhouse111408.jpg

Glad I got my fix on Friday. Saturday rained all day and today it was snowing.

Bob

Upvote 0

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Re: Half of a Civil War Veteran Medal & Nice SLQ.

Wow that quarter is fantastic!! I still haven't found an old SLQ! I'll keep trying though, because you just proved they are still out there.

WTG, HH

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bob,
Nice finds...the SLQ is in great shape.

As everyone else said...get back out there and find that star. I would rake then grid the area and see what turns up.

Good luck

NJ

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds, love that civil war medal. :coffee2:

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Thanks for the compliments all.

hogge said:
Nice finds Bob.....Congrats on the medal. Like the SLQ. I've only found 1. Hogge :thumbsup:

Yeah, because you are too busy digging up Large Cents and other rare 1700/1800's stuff! :wink: ;D ;D

Ferrous - I use a Canon AS950 (I think). It about a $150 camera. I thought my old Nikon 2.1 MegaPixel CoolPix camera took better pics but I can do alright with this one. I take most of the pics at 1600x1200 and then reduce to 800x600.

plehbah said:
The G.A.R. medal suspension bar is beautiful. The patina on that cannot be beat.

The quarter is also a beaut.

It sounds like your son genuinely likes spending time with you.

You have reaped the rewards for living a life of minimal evil.

Minimal evil is a funny way of putting it but I guess you are right. My earlier days were not that way. Fortunenately, God got a hold of me before I did too much evil. :icon_sunny:

ModernMiner said:
Ya-hooooooooooooo!!!! Nice SLQ Bob. Sweet find for sure :thumbsup:
Darn kids. Ya can't tell em' anything. :wink:
Congrats on that super pin too.
-Doug-

Doug, that's how you know you are getting old - when your kids start giving you advice - and their advice is right! :D

silverfreak said:
What's up with everybody finding SLQ's WITH dates except me? ;D
Sounds like you and Nate had a great time...and congrats on that DATED ::) SLQ.

Now, now I saw you found one with a date recently. 8) I was due for one with a date. The last two my son found were beautiful with dates and the last 4 I have found were smooth as a babys a$$. ;D

Thanks again all. I will be going back to this site soon. I dig anything not iron at this site and it has proven to be a good move.

Bob

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Job Bob :icon_scratch: Hey that rimes :D

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

rtde3 said:
Congrats on the SLQ & metal Bob! Very cool finds!
I guess you know that the gun & cow are cracker jack toys from the 20's or 30's. I found the same one's this summer. :wink:

Bob,
No, I wasn't aware of that. Very cool.

mpostma said:
You and Nate did well!
Sweeet SLQ! That Gar medal part is just plain awsome. Nice Digs!

The little gun. Is it by any chance made of lead? I found a nearly identical one on the old fairgrounds this fall. It was curled up like a horseshoe when I found it, but was so soft I just gently bent it back flat.

Great hunts! Glad your son has embraced the hobby too. That should get the biggest congrats of all!

Good Luck,
Mark

Yes Mark, it is lead. I was happy to find it intact and unbent. And yes it is nice to have my son as a hunting partner. I would not be as active in this hobby had it not been for him.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X

VERY interesting finds!
Definately love that quarter! GREAT date!
Congrats!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds and hunts Bob! HH, Mike

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

That SLQ is sweet. All the way around I believe that counts as an excellent hunt. Glad to see you get that fix before the snow. It blows being on the leeward side of the big lakes.....Congrats on the digs. :thumbsup: jgas

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star

Very nice Bob....

Thoes SLQ's seem to elude me, Gonna have to keep it on top of my list for next year...

Looks like you found the top half of the Civil War Veteran medal I found this time last year at one of Dan's sites..

Glad to see someone in the area is getting out digging the good stuff...

Enjoy
ZoSo71

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

ZoSo71 said:
Very nice Bob....

Thoes SLQ's seem to elude me, Gonna have to keep it on top of my list for next year...

Looks like you found the top half of the Civil War Veteran medal I found this time last year at one of Dan's sites..

Glad to see someone in the area is getting out digging the good stuff...

Enjoy
ZoSo71

WOW!...Dave!

Dude where ya been?

And Bob...sweet Standing Lib.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds Mirage. I'm still looking for my first SLQ. The condition of that one is superb. :thumbsup:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Bob! Great looking standing liberty buddy! Also sweet find on the upper part of the GAR badge, hey you know if you cant find the bottom part maybe we can talk a trade..... I found a lower at the you know where site, but never located the top part , I would love to have a matching set. :wink:

Also wanted to tell you I moved closer to work just so you know. Talk to you later,

Steve

P.S. the pistol and cow are old cracker jack items, in case you didn't know.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

sun rain and snow all in one weekend!? How could the weather get any wackier! :icon_scratch: I am glad you got your fix and got out to hunt! :thumbsup: i love the Civil war Veteran's medal! :thumbsup: Way Cool! The SLQ is a very nice addition to the finds as well! Keep up the hunting! :thumbsup:

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great looking finds Mirage, the SLQ is fantastic. The medal is something else though very nice piece
congrats :thumbsup:
Glenn

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Man Bob the CW Vet Medal is awesome.....are they "per" State or Gov't issued,I can't really read the whole Medal? Very Nice!!! Congrat's on the SLQ...not a one for me yet :icon_scratch: Glad to see you and Nate still hittin' it hard,nice stuff Buddy!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread