333.9 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN0006.JPG
    DSCN0006.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0007.JPG
    DSCN0007.JPG
    346.3 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 20
Very nice find, congratulations! :occasion14: Have you been sifting the dirt near an old site?

More likely carnelian gemstone

Unusual find for sure,and the rest of it was certainly metal,so where did the holder go?

Unusual find for sure,and the rest of it was certainly metal,so where did the holder go?

well i hope to find it one day, the iron here is crazy, everytime they plow i find more

an awesome find for sure

is that what their wax seal stones typically are? never heard of this stone, but interesting
Yes very popular for this use, in fact Cru'dad found a Roman version, so it been used for this function for thousands of years.

I am gonna have to go against the grain on this one... the following is IMO...

#1. Not Carnelian.
#2. Not a Stamp.

I think what you have found is a "signet"... either of glass which is my first guess... or a stone like Garnet or another like stone...

I would guess its Victorian Era... and not necessarily from a ring... but probable... also think its a piece that was never "set" / "finished"...

I believe it MAY have broken during its making and was pitched... and I base this by the crude / rough edge / shaping.

IF I had to guess with a shot from the hip... Its what they called a "Zodiac" stone ring... again Victorian...

Here is an example...

View attachment 1555982

I am gonna have to go against the grain on this one... the following is IMO...

#1. Not Carnelian.
#2. Not a Stamp.

I think what you have found is a "signet"... either of glass which is my first guess... or a stone like Garnet or another like stone...

I would guess its Victorian Era... and not necessarily from a ring... but probable... also think its a piece that was never "set" / "finished"...

I believe it MAY have broken during its making and was pitched... and I base this by the crude / rough edge / shaping.

IF I had to guess with a shot from the hip... Its what they called a "Zodiac" stone ring... again Victorian...

Here is an example...

View attachment 1555982
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...ksTZAhWsDcAKHSghAh0Q_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=714

found amongst the pottery at my gold ring site, design looks like a animal sitting down with leg up

Certainly looks like it to me-nice find! I know it goes without saying, but if you could only find the other half...

Yes very popular for this use, in fact Cru'dad found a Roman version, so it been used for this function for thousands of years.

Ok, an authentic wax seal ring AND Roman. That is honestly one of the top things I always wanted as a child and yes I am still a child today...lol. CONGRATS!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back