What's new

Hallmark Help ?

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
1,909
Reaction score
785
Golden Thread
0
Location
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went detecting near the muddy mile today and "eyeballed" this ring on the edge of a freshly tilled field.
I almost didn't believe it but it was in my hand. Any help on the marks appreciated.
Correct me if I'm wrong I see 0B three crowns and a T
Thanks, Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • workring 019.webp
    workring 019.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,506
  • workring 022.webp
    workring 022.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,659
  • workring 025.webp
    workring 025.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,130
This is close- from 1922. Your mark might be a more modern example? Nice find!

image067.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks, Bramblefind and Mackaydon for the info. That was a very interesting story about Ostby.
I'm wondering if the letter is a date mark? the link Mackaydon gave shows a C in the mark not a T.
Any way thanks once again, Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
You may wish to call this company in Phoenix; they have an 'OB' ring for sale and may have additional information on the marks:
Goodwill of Central Arizona, 15633 S 32nd St., Phoenix, has a very special vintage ring made by Ostby and Barton for sale. Ostby and Barton were designers of genuine, high quality pieces. The founder of Ostby and Barton was actually traveling with a bag of gems for his jewelry designs aboard the Titanic in 1912. He perished on... that trip, but his daughter survived. Much of the jewelry is yet to be discovered. It is made of 14k Gold and is adorned with what appears to be red ruby stones. Internet research indicates that the ring's "OB14K" stamp is the mark of the Ostby & Barton Co. Please call the Store Manager for pricing and more information at (480) 704-0645.
Don....
 
Upvote 0
:hello:

The triple crown mark has been used as the Swedish Government mark since 1783 - after 1912 the triple crown was enclosed in a clover leaf shape(or Cats Paw) for Swedish made items and in an oval shape for an Import item. If the crowns are not enclosed the item was produced before 1912. Swedish silver is typically .830 pure, or a lower purity of silver than Sterling which is .925 pure.

I think the letter T is for the year 1861 :P

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

The triple crown mark has been used as the Swedish Government mark since 1783 - after 1912 the triple crown was enclosed in a clover leaf shape(or Cats Paw) for Swedish made items and in an oval shape for an Import item. If the crowns are not enclosed the item was produced before 1912. Swedish silver is typically .830 pure, or a lower purity of silver than Sterling which is .925 pure.

I think the letter T is for the year 1861 :P

SS

All the Swedish hallmarks I've seen are 2 crowns over 1. Also, the Swedish date code for 1861 is "G5".
 
Upvote 0
daroofa said:
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

The triple crown mark has been used as the Swedish Government mark since 1783 - after 1912 the triple crown was enclosed in a clover leaf shape(or Cats Paw) for Swedish made items and in an oval shape for an Import item. If the crowns are not enclosed the item was produced before 1912. Swedish silver is typically .830 pure, or a lower purity of silver than Sterling which is .925 pure.

I think the letter T is for the year 1861 :P

SS

All the Swedish hallmarks I've seen are 2 crowns over 1. Also, the Swedish date code for 1861 is "G5".
Like I said above, the shape of the Crowns changed after 1912, perhaps the ring posted is before that time :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
daroofa said:
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

The triple crown mark has been used as the Swedish Government mark since 1783 - after 1912 the triple crown was enclosed in a clover leaf shape(or Cats Paw) for Swedish made items and in an oval shape for an Import item. If the crowns are not enclosed the item was produced before 1912. Swedish silver is typically .830 pure, or a lower purity of silver than Sterling which is .925 pure.

I think the letter T is for the year 1861 :P

SS

All the Swedish hallmarks I've seen are 2 crowns over 1. Also, the Swedish date code for 1861 is "G5".
Like I said above, the shape of the Crowns changed after 1912, perhaps the ring posted is before that time :dontknow:

SS

Sweden did use a "T" as a date mark in 1777, but that would pre-date the use of the crowns so... :icon_scratch: I think the Ostby & Barton ID is correct, but can't find any reference to their date mark system.
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

The triple crown mark has been used as the Swedish Government mark since 1783 - after 1912 the triple crown was enclosed in a clover leaf shape(or Cats Paw) for Swedish made items and in an oval shape for an Import item. If the crowns are not enclosed the item was produced before 1912. Swedish silver is typically .830 pure, or a lower purity of silver than Sterling which is .925 pure.
SS the ring is gold
 
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

The triple crown mark has been used as the Swedish Government mark since 1783 - after 1912 the triple crown was enclosed in a clover leaf shape(or Cats Paw) for Swedish made items and in an oval shape for an Import item. If the crowns are not enclosed the item was produced before 1912. Swedish silver is typically .830 pure, or a lower purity of silver than Sterling which is .925 pure.
SS the ring is gold
Ahhh Right :-[ looking closer at your picture I can see now, I will have another go at it now :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom