halves/nickel

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Was out of town for business today, and made a lunch run at two banks. One strikeout, the other had $9.50 in halves - $1.00 from the teller I had asked, and $8.50 from one of the others.

Didn't score anything from the halves, and got a look like I was insane from the first teller. However, while the second teller was getting her halves together, the first teller kind of chuckled, "I've got a beat up old nickel too if you want it. From... 1943." I thanked her for her interest and bought it. I pointed out to her the P on the reverse, and explained that it was called a "war nickel", and was one of the types of coins I collected. She chuckled again, completely uninterested, and said they got those all the time.

Alas, the town is more than an hour away, and I had no account at the bank, so no way to order boxes or get back anytime soon. Still, can't complain about a war nickel for my efforts. :wink:

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You might be suprised at the number of banks that will order boxes for you as a non-account holder.

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
When you guys opens accounts with different banks, do you open a savings account, checking account or both?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread