Halves

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0
I just bough the lowest priced plastic half tubes/quarter tubes/dime tubes on amazon.

they cost me a buck each at the coin shop, and about 60 cents online.

Also, expect a skunk. you are better off visiting 15 banks, and buying all their halves. If feasibe, otherwise, just do boxes of halves.

Keep any proofs you find. You can find them by their FAT thick rims, and mirror like finish

I just bough the lowest priced plastic half tubes/quarter tubes/dime tubes on amazon.

they cost me a buck each at the coin shop, and about 60 cents online.

Also, expect a skunk. you are better off visiting 15 banks, and buying all their halves. If feasibe, otherwise, just do boxes of halves.

Keep any proofs you find. You can find them by their FAT thick rims, and mirror like finish

I'm going to date check each coin of course on my first box! And there aren't 15 banks in a 20 mile radius from me... :(
I usually do well asking for halves/loose halves.. :D
Expect a skunk? I was hoping for atleast a 40%!
WOOOO! HALLLLVESSSS :D
Wicka

1 box/week. With some of my skunk streaks, I would be looking at MONTHS of nothing. If I did less than 8-10 I might have hung it up a while ago. Doing marginal volume gives you a reasonable chance of snagging that one awesome box. I learned a while ago that when a collection is dumped into the wrapping machine it tends to stay in fairly close proximity to itself, sometimes within the same box or mostly the same box. Just food for thought.

That said, who knows, maybe your area is super rich with silver! Go for it!

What should I keep besides Pre-1969?

Keep 1969 and 1970 halves too ;-)

Umm.. look for 40% bicentennials, 1987, S mint proof are keepers. I wouldn't worry about 2003-2012 NIFCs

Like I told ya before Wicka, there is NO silver in boxes. Hehehehe

1 box a week, you should expect 1 silver every other week....increase your bankroll!

He might get lucky, his first box, I had beginners luck.

Expect disappointment (unfortunately). I have searched 18 boxes, only found 5 40%ers, no proofs, 4 1987s (all Denver mints), no commemoratives, and about 30 NIFCs. I'm currently on a 12 box skunk streak. But, maybe there's lots of silver in your area. Hope you score!

beginners luck all that doesn't matter, look a year or 2 down the road, volume is king.

Don't want to increase volume. I think I'm going to do weekly or Bi-Weekly boxes :P
I'm not to interested in silvers, 1 per a box would be nice, but I'd be happy with a proof or a commemorative per a box :D :)
Skunks are bound to happen. Not worried.. Thanks all :D
Wicka

Hey Wicka, regarding coin wrappers: just ask for some from the tellers every time you go to a bank. They hand them out like candy cause they don't want to count loose change!

Hey Wicka, regarding coin wrappers: just ask for some from the tellers every time you go to a bank. They hand them out like candy cause they don't want to count loose change!

I know I just wasn't sure if they still carried half wrappers, I got tons of stacks today for September :D
thanks Local,
Wicka :)

Don't want to increase volume. I think I'm going to do weekly or Bi-Weekly boxes :P
I'm not to interested in silvers, 1 per a box would be nice, but I'd be happy with a proof or a commemorative per a box :D :)
Skunks are bound to happen. Not worried.. Thanks all :D
Wicka

Not interested in Silvers? What? Ok, well expect a skunk everytime and hope for the best. I think everybody else has pretty much summed it up for you allready. Good luck Wicka! HH, Maverick.

Not interested in Silvers? What? Ok, well expect a skunk everytime and hope for the best. I think everybody else has pretty much summed it up for you allready. Good luck Wicka! HH, Maverick.

well, of course interesting in silver, but I would RATHER commemorative coins :P
Wicka

this.
1 box/week. With some of my skunk streaks, I would be looking at MONTHS of nothing. If I did less than 8-10 I might have hung it up a while ago. Doing marginal volume gives you a reasonable chance of snagging that one awesome box. I learned a while ago that when a collection is dumped into the wrapping machine it tends to stay in fairly close proximity to itself, sometimes within the same box or mostly the same box. Just food for thought.

That said, who knows, maybe your area is super rich with silver! Go for it!

Go for it Wicka! You got to start some where. If my bankroll was small I would work my way up to a box of halves ASAP. One box of halves is better than 2 boxes of dimes or 5 boxes of nickles....so, while it would be nice to have more I would be excited about getting into the half game. although you might change your mind about silver when it triples in price.
:D

beginners luck all that doesn't matter, look a year or 2 down the road, volume is king.
I agree, volume is king. But beginners luck can play into it.
It did for me. I first tryed CRH 15 years ago, did 2 boxes, found nothing, so I quit.
8 months ago being out of work with time on my hands I tryed it again, this time CWR produced great finds from day one, so I ordered a couple boxes and did good, so this "luck" got me completely hooked, then I knew I had to up bank roll and volume.
If I hadn't of found anything that first week and in the first boxes, I probobly would of quit again. JMO.
Wicka is a teen, most teens couldn't save $500 if there life depeded on it. You have to start somewhere and one box is a start.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back