Ham radio and metal detecting

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any hams here who carry a radio on hem when detecting? I know, everyone says turn the cell phones off and such but i keep my cell phone on and clip it to the chest strap on my pack. The reason i do that is so its always in the same place in case i need it. Its a safety thing especially since we arent paying attention like we should to our surroundings when detecting.

But curious if anyone carries an HT on them with the volume low?

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have in the past. If you were hunting alone in the deep woods it has always been a good insurance policy to keep in touch. You never know what you might encounter in the forest. A dead tree injuring you , a hornets nest among other things... Also let me clearly state that I always ask permission to hunt property and I have rarely been turned down but there have been times where I have used 2 meter simplex as a tactical measure to jump out check a tract of of land to see if we find any potential clues ...square nails and lead.. and to determine whether our group wants to seek permission to hunt. Say in a community where there was a battle and there is miles of battlefield NOT within a park. I once was stuck in our Land cruiser , I turned on my Ten Meter rig , Had a guy in florida call my father in law to send help. That pre cell phone days. 73 de N4***

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always have my cellphone, but some of the places I hunt the coverage is poor at best. I have mobile capabilities from 80 through 450, so I'm always within contact on some band or another. That fact has come to the rescue a couple of times, but not directly related to detecting.

With some fear of condescension towards Road Dust, I don't hide my call sign (KØBG), my name, or my address. In fact, the alien head you see at the left is plastered on the side of my Ridgeline, along with an inscription. That sign, for lose of better words, has gained me some hunting sites I would have never been able to procure otherwise. Since my thrust in amateur radio is mobile operation (just visit my web site for verification), all of those antennas on my truck just adds to the mystique!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a funny thing happen to me once while out hunting and it was because I had five Larsen NMO Antennas and a bugcatcher on a Ford SUV. No Antennas these days but good memories.

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a new ht on the way that will fit perfectly on my pro swng for detecting.

As i am writing this, i look out the window and it is snowing. I am not ready for winter. I have a new digger coil on the way that will be here tomorrow and i plan on using it a bunch before winter takes hold. We have had several mild winters lately so i have a feeling this one will be one for the record books.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live on the Georgia Tennessee line. I can see North Carolina from here and If I climbed a tree , I could see Alabama. This was the coolest Summer of my life. We had green grass all the way up into August which it normally burns up by then. Yes , it could be the coldest Winter on record. I believe the best way of mixing amateur radio and our hobby of metal detecting is meeting people which own land and farms etc to gain permission to hunt.

SandWolf

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2013
As a matter of safety I carry ny dual band ht with me....have found stranded or lost hikers in remote areas. . I love 4wheeling to abanded mine sites and set my ok mobile rig up as cross band rptr to extend my coverage.. lots of fun never know when you need assistance where just a ht isn't strong enough to reach a repeater....

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some sort of communication is a must in remote areas. The interesting places don't seem to have any cell coverage.
I haven't been active in years, but I'd certainly carry an HT in a remote area.

For the non-hams, there is always FRS or GMRS radios.

Bama Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Yes, WD4RG here. Luckily a some of my friends and co-workers are also hams. A few of them MD too so we can communicate enroute to a site if not riding together, or on-site should we become farther separated. Comes in handy if you need some help or make a cool find.

Oldbuttplate

Oct 18, 2013
East Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT. It was free. Still works good.
Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not been on in years, still remember the fun times of working cw late at night when I was a kid so as not to get in every ones tv. That was way before the web and cellphones. God, I feel old now!

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your only as old as you think you are or feel, and some days I feel real old.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N1UOW here...husband (KB1ECO) and I don't carry our 2m handitalkies anymore. We are using the short range Motorola personal walkies instead. We also both carry our cell phones (the death to 2m at least around the Boston area) when we hunt. Haven't been on 2m or 440 in years. It got extremely quiet on the Boston channel, their repeater was "locked down" and you had to be a club member to access it; and then we moved north....oh well. 73 to all my fellow hams out there....

N1UOW (Anita)

sprinter

Feb 2, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N1UOW here...husband (KB1ECO) and I don't carry our 2m handitalkies anymore. We are using the short range Motorola personal walkies instead. We also both carry our cell phones (the death to 2m at least around the Boston area) when we hunt. Haven't been on 2m or 440 in years. It got extremely quiet on the Boston channel, their repeater was "locked down" and you had to be a club member to access it; and then we moved north....oh well. 73 to all my fellow hams out there....

N1UOW (Anita)

It would be nice to start a group on Echolink ' be nice to swop experiences ,and although I'm a typical black box usere I find that most Hams have some electronics knowledge which could be useful ,and we could of course share it on the forum ..
You can use your iPhone or android provided Echolink can validate your call sign , and you can take pictures with your phone ,, don't think there's a 2mtr or70cms that has a camera yet hi hi !
Peter G0FUI 73s happy new year to all

scoremaster

Jan 2, 2013
western md
Detector(s) used
garrett 250 and new this year at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ku3m here name is scott been a ham just a little while and been a md less time i haven't packed my ht with me figured it would interfer with my detecter but it may not but am going to try this year as i have me a new detecter coming and i hope it can block them freq problems .
and with the snow today here in western md and the cold temps seems like the ground will be froze for awhile .

and sprinter echolink would be awsome to try a meeting on i have an account there but don't use it much kinda seems like cheating to me but still it has it's place and a good rag chew that all could enjoy would be pefect .

good hunting and 73's

Scott

sprinter

Feb 2, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Scott cheating yeh maybe it is ,but you could do it through a repeater if that makes you feel better, seriously I'm trying to get a few of us hams together that are also detectorists here in the UK .
I find that most hams have a smattering of electronics knowledge which is very useful in the MD hobby ,like for instance I make my own headphones from ear defenders ,saves yourself loads , let's see what kind of response we get , send me an email and when there enough response will get the ball rolling ..regards Peter [email protected] and anyone else who's interested......

Stealth digger

Jun 2, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO & minelab pro 25 pointer. Other items I carry with me are a Yaesu VX 7 radio, maglit XL 50 , classic swiss army knife, solid brass Zippo, Gerber saw & Knife.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry my HT with me when out detecting and hiking in the woods while alone and when a group of us go out we use a simplex frequency for communications when spread out. It works out great for the group and is never an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KD5YQF here, I try to have an HT with me if I am by myself..Never know when the old Cell might not work....73's, and good to see fellow hams on here....

TwistedElvis

Aug 4, 2014
Sunny San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minilab CTX 3030 / Excalibur II 1000 / Tesoro Sand Shark / Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
I take mine sometimes when I go but not always? KK6BKB and the Echolink would be cool if anyone gets it going?

Clint in KY

Greenie
Oct 5, 2014
West Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a small group with whom I MD and all but one is a ham. Carrying an HT never came up but it is a good idea.
I will mention it to the group and go make sure my little Icom is charged, if I can find it.

W5CPT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread