Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've recently acquired a new friend. They are fascinated with me using the camera in our garden.

So, I got the great idea (since my friend evidently is willing to be photographed) to learn a bit more about my new camera and its settings.

I've always used to shoot ASA400 film in my SLR cameras for snapshots (fast enough / not too grainy). I used ASA100 or less for portraits and "art". It has been a long time since I did any of this stuff for other people so I've forgotten the ISO/ASA relationship.

Anyhow, this Coolpix wants to automatically choose the ISO speed. Not a good idea ... so I set it to 400 for most of my shots. Now, this subject in the first image remained in this pose for about 2 minutes while watching me.

This is the problem I was having with images:

ISO400.jpg

The problem looks like "focus" but it isn't. It's the equivalent of film speed. This image was shot at ISO400. Looks like junk. I noticed that my macro shots were seeing the same noise and often appeared to be out of focus.

ISO100.jpg

I believe this is the same subject (it's a bit squirrelly, so who knows) shot with the camera set at ISO100. Top image is "sharpened" with a highpass sharpen filter and still looks out of focus, while the bottom is exactly as shot (both have been resized).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread