Hampton Military Academy Button donated to local museum

U

umrgolf

If you remember back a couple months ago, Josh and I had recovered a few of these H.M.A. buttons in a fairly short amount of time. That button had been our "holy grail", basically what we were hoping to find nearly every hunt we went on. We were extremely lucky and located a site that yielded the three. A few days ago I decided to stop by the local museum to get a look at the three examples they had on display, and also to have a talk with the curator of the museum. The museum's three buttons were not very presentable to say the least. I decided to donate the better of my two to them for other people to enjoy and the museum was very grateful. My only request was that the button be displayed in it's current condition and they were happy to honor that. :icon_thumleft:

Hampton Military Academy was in operation for only ten years (1852-1861) and continued it's operation after Virginia seceded from the Union. The cadets and staff joined the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia at the onset of the Civil War and the structure was burned. The button depicts the actual academy.

Hampton History Museum

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

My button
IMG_0014.JPG

My button next to the Museum's best example
IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeff, :notworthy:

This post and the donation to the museum showcase your true character. :notworthy: Thank you for portraying this great hobby in such an honorable fashion. :notworthy: It is truly nice to see that selfishness doesn't dwell in your detecting soul. :notworthy: I am voting Banner! :notworthy:

Take care, my friend! :notworthy:

Kirk :hello:

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool of you. :hello2:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: That button was in the ground no one to see it , now its for all to see (History) Great job priceless relic :thumbsup: Dd60

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, we were lucky that the Metal Detecting Gods put us on a site where we could harvest those pieces of history. We are lucky to have just one, let alone to find THREE. What you did is a good thing for the public and others to enjoy that history that we hold so dear to us. We've each got one for the case and that's all we really need, and now the people have one for dexterity! Nice going buddy :icon_salut: :wink:

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Congratulations on sharing that piece of history with so many people. :thumbsup: I've donated buttons that appear in museum displays and it's a win-win situation for everyone. I'm voting banner for this thread. - Jim

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff , You are quite an asset to the metal detecting community and your country , generosity, service, self-sacrifice, unselfishness , doing for others , family , friends and duty..you are the Man :notworthy: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :occasion14: Proud to be a friend :thumbsup: another vote ! Mike

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
This just proves what I already know...you are a great guy! And your button looks so much better!!

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thank you all for the awesome replies and compliments. :icon_thumleft: I am very happy that I have a button for myself, Josh has one, and now the public has one that's identifiable to enjoy.. :headbang:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
umrgolf2010 said:
Thank you all for the awesome replies and compliments. :icon_thumleft: I am very happy that I have a button for myself, Josh has one, and now the public has one that's identifiable to enjoy.. :headbang:
Oh that honorable mention banner looks purdie under your avatar buddy!

Good deed buddy!
To Me, An honorable mention banner is more admirable than the other.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great thing to do Jeff. Proud to call you my friend. :thumbsup: Take care buddy. :notworthy: :notworthy:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome Jeff.I too have done that sort of thing and really makes ya feel good.All of our stuff should be made available for all to see and appreciate!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thanks again for all the great replies! I am very proud to call you all my friends as well :icon_thumleft:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, my friend!

These are the kinds of posts we need to be seeing on the BANNER along with the finds posts.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

sneaky6

Aug 14, 2007
Deep Dug Hole, VA
Jeff,

That is awesome!!! I don't know many folks willing to give up a Confederate button, especially one that rare. That is a definite testimony to your character! My hat is off to you!! Good job!!

Way to go above and beyond for our hobby (addiction)! No wonder the Metal Detecting Gods always seem to be smiling your way!

HH,
Sneaky6

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thank you for the kind words fellas :icon_thumleft: Hopefully I'll get a chance to donate a CSA buckle (after I find the first one of course :D )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread