Hand dredge leather

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey anyone on here know how to get/make a leather plunger for a hand dredge? I've been using a rubber ball smushed by a couple of washers and a nut to make the suction in mine but they don't last for very long and I can't always find the right size of ball to put in it. Pretty frustrating I was going to go adjust it and go panning/sniping tomorrow, didn't think the ball would go bad that quick =/

Upvote 0

Bigwill

Dec 21, 2011
Washington Co. Al
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought mine from local hardware store for about $6 in the water well pump section. Put the leather around a 2" rubber plug. Had to shave the rubber plug some so it would fit correctly

Attachments

• Leather.jpg
    Leather.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alright I might try one of those eventually. Turns out the rubber ball I used just dried out because I haven't used my hand dredge in a while.. after I got it wet and let it soak up some water the suction was perfect xD thanks for the ideas though. :hello2:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
these leather cups are seals for the old hand water pumps, and like was stated ,they can be bought at most bigger hardware stores. i use a circular gasket cutter and cut mine out of butal rubber sheets for my seals! anytime/anysize fits perfect.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen Russau and OSH/Capitol Rubber are just a few of the chains that sell the nylon cross thatched impregnated rubber sheeting that lasts purt' near forever in differing thicknesses and durameter so no more piling on needed :headbang:!! John

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i think red sells his at gold-n-sand.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread