What's new

Hand forged hatchet at Goodwill. How old?

FriscoT06

Hero Member
Joined
May 2, 2011
Messages
602
Reaction score
655
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I found this hatchet at Goodwill today for $1.91. It appears hand forged and folded, and with a replacement handle, and resharpened at some point, tho it is very dull now. I love it. But I was wondering how old it is. I can't tell if it is old, new, restored with electrolysis, or if I'm just imagining things outta the hammer marks. Also, are hatchets or axes made this way much anymore? Thanks guys!
image.webp image.webp

image.webp image.webp
 
Upvote 6
Just to cover all the bases-
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
 
interesting to say the least. might be the one George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree
 
Awesome. I will ebay it with that provenance now. So happy I can now retire. Lol.
 
Looks to me like it was recently made by an amateur blacksmith.
 
It's worth $1.91 if you do nothing more than throw it in the truck for an emergency:dontknow:
 
For $2 it's a cool purchase regardless of it's origin.
 
Agreed, recent amateur job. The imperfect forge welding and apparent lack of a proper steel edge insert likely wouldn't pass muster back in the day.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom