What's new

Hand Rolls / Poverty Areas

terryin pa

Full Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Messages
138
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen some who had great luck with hand rolled dimes and nickels so last week I decided to give it a shot. 250.00 in nickels from 3-4 banks yeilded 1 war and my pre 60 average was 1/2 of normal for that amount. Today I stopped by a bank 3 miles from home,checked on halves and asked for a box of nickels. Teller says we have no boxes but do have hand rolls . OK I'll take 100.00 worth....thinking to myself hope I have better luck with these . When she gets em out i see many are marked with a red marker..... :BangHead: :BangHead: oh well I'll check em out anyway. Not 1....pre 60 , buffalo, war,or even a canadain in them. :angry1: Its amazing there is another crher so close to home , and he's after same thing I am. I'll stick to boxes unless I'm on a raod trip away from home.
I see comments where some claim poverty areas produce well. I beg to differ on that. My hometown and the bordering communities are about as poor as you can get. I've been checking the local banks every 2 weeks for 3 months and got 1 40%er. One town 15 miles away has 5-6 banks and not a 1 silver half there in 3 months. My opinion is depressed towns have more people unemployed, disabled, with alot of time on their hands. Perhaps there are alot cashing in on the silver in these areas, but after awhile others get wise to it and hit it hard....and selling for a profit. Seems my luck is wealthy towns where grandpa has a stash and it gets raided and cashed in. What results do others have?
 
Upvote 0
First stop when I go bank hopping is at a ghetto bank. I do pretty good at these banks. Most CHR ers avoid these areas. Never got any great hauls, but I almost always score something.
 
I have have good luck with hand rolls that were deposited by poor people to make payments.

I got 14 40%ers that were in envelopes.

DW
 
As always it can be hit or miss. A silver stash is not turned in on the daily basis so just be patient. It does not matter poor or rich area. It is where it is. It is and always has been the luck of being at the right place at the right time.

Golden Silver
 
The one thing you must realize is CRH'ing is work, and in the poverty stricken areas some people are just lazy and willing to mooch of Uncle Sam. I doubt that they would be looking for silver.

Perhaps there is another CRHer that goes in more frequently. If that's the case I'd say the next time you go into the same banks ask if they get halves in frequently. I know some banks that I hit up (these ones are in a decent area) said...shoot I got rid of mine earlier this week, or last friday, etc. It's worth a shot.

Good luck,

Dan
 
Yes the key to getting lots of keepers is hard work.
Friday will be 1 month for me and I have over 512 silver keepers plus 4 proof half.
I hunt everyday for 4 to 6 hours before work.
And look through 10's of thousands of coins each week.
Just keep looking the next cache could be at that bank you think "naaaa" I'll skip that one.
Good Luck my friend and Happy Hunting
Dan :thumbsup:
 
bluefin1959 said:
Yes the key to getting lots of keepers is hard work.
Friday will be 1 month for me and I have over 512 silver keepers plus 4 proof half.
I hunt everyday for 4 to 6 hours before work.
And look through 10's of thousands of coins each week.
Just keep looking the next cache could be at that bank you think "naaaa" I'll skip that one.
Good Luck my friend and Happy Hunting
Dan :thumbsup:

Exactly.
Timing and a little luck never hurts.
It's like fishing- "you should have been here yesterday".
Coin movement is very dynamic and you can't expect them to accumulate in the corner until you happen to come by.
Check often and develop relationships and the good stuff will come.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom