What's new

Handcuff Key?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
I dug this in Boston. The city had a section of the sidewalk removed and I went down early in the morning. Found a 1910 Wheat Penny and this Key. I am thinking it may have been a police officers who was walkign the beat and dropped it. You think its a handcuff key?
Ty,
G
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0284.webp
    IMG_0284.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 283
Possible . Could also be a call box key . Officers walking a beat after the advent of telephones were required to call in on their respective beats from locked phone boxes for which they were issued keys .
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking it is more probably a furniture key, say to a china cabinet, etc.
Scott
 
Upvote 0
I think it might go to a Brown's padlock

Patent July 4 1871
 

Attachments

  • Picture.webp
    Picture.webp
    73.5 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 0
The key looks A bit decrative, simple keying, is there a hole i the shaft?
Thinking is a simple cabinet key
Brady
 
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
I think it might go to a Brown's padlock

Patent July 4 1871
I think mojjax is onto it.
Yes there is a hole in the shaft Brady.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0339.webp
    IMG_0339.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 0
Those padlocks came in many sizes .
 

Attachments

  • Picture 002 (2).webp
    Picture 002 (2).webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0
I knew it wasn't a handcuff key right off. I never saw a handcuff key with a notched flat part, whatever it is called. I carried a set for many years with the key on my keychain. I always thought the key was so dumb as anyone with a bobby pin or a paperclip could pick the lock in about half a second. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom