What's new

✅ SOLVED Handle of a gun?

baylorhall

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
899
Reaction score
154
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I thought this was part of a gun, but then noticed the three holes. Would that be right? Also curious about this large, VERY heavy piece. no clue, but I can say it wouldn't fit in my pouch! Thanks
 

Attachments

  • Westchester park big metal.webp
    Westchester park big metal.webp
    855.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Westchester gun part?.webp
    Westchester gun part?.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 152
Make that four holes!
 
Upvote 0
Looks like an old pistol grip. It looks like a wooden grip off an old colt. If it is metal it could be the same thing, but a decorative add on from Mexico. The very top hole was where a medallion was secured. Of the four lower holes, the top was where the grip was secured by a screw to the frame. The other object appears to be part of a rifle barrel. Two minor suggestions. Please buy a meter/yardstick and take a picture that shows the objects clearer than your athletic shoes. Thanks... Would also help to know about where these were found.
 
Upvote 0
The long thing is a window weight. Used inside the frame to help hold the window up when opened in old homes.
 
Upvote 0
The long thing is a window weight. Used inside the frame to help hold the window up when opened in old homes.

You nailed the window weight I was going to guess that or a counter weight for a Grand father clock.
 
Upvote 0
Pistol grip could be for a hand saw,definately a sash weight though!!
 
Upvote 0
“Sash weight”, my old brain cells couldn’t pull that word out of the useless cluster floating around in there.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks! I have never heard of a sash weight or a window weight. It is really heavy. Found at an old house site.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks! I have never heard of a sash weight or a window weight. It is really heavy. Found at an old house site.

Yep,pretty common around older homesteads.I once had a site that produced over 25 of em!!!House had a lot of windows I guess!
 
Upvote 0
Kuger, you missed one. :laughing7: They always came in pairs, one on each side of the window. If they didn’t, the window would get cocked and jammed.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah I'm going to say the grip is a handle from an old keyhole saw. Definitely not a part of any pistol I've seen unless it was a toy maybe.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom