B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found at the Fred fletcher park in Raleigh, NC near one of the buildings which was a civil war camp and childrens home after the civil war.

I also found a 1945 wheat penny around the same building. Not sure that means anything:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B|lker

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The center hole is about 9/16 inch.
The outer six holes are about 3/8 inch.

Still researching pistols, but it has notches on the outer edge which make me think it was moved by an independent cog or gear.

Thanks for everyones input :)

Upvote 0

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
B|lker said:
The center hole is about 9/16 inch.
The outer six holes are about 3/8 inch.

Still researching pistols, but it has notches on the outer edge which make me think it was moved by an independent cog or gear.

Thanks for everyones input :)

Hi Bllker !

I agree with Scott(Mid-Mich).........part off of a sixshooter.

In addition, it appears to be from a very old revolver/sixshooter.
Having a background in the custom gear mfg. business, it looks to me like a cast metal part (Probably cast iron or steel). The gear teeth on the outer rim could have been actuated by an engaging metal finger linked to the trigger.
The part you found would be affixed to the front of the cylinder, probably via those little nubs, and acts as a clocking divice, to rotate the cylinder
and bring the next cartridge in line with the gun bore.

I don't think you will find the part in any modern-day gun books, like Numrich Gun Parts, etc.. Look in antique handgun books & catalogs, or go
on the web and start with a generic term, like "Antique Handguns" and if this doesn't get you anywhere, just fiddle around with other terms until you
hit on something. When you find a good site, look for schematic drawings, otherwise known as "Exploded" drawings. Unless you get real lucky,
you will be on the computer for a long time.

At first, I thought those six smaller holes were what we call in the gear mfg.
business "lightening holes" , which are typical on a lot of gear castings to
reduce weight, but since there are six of these small holes, I changed my
mind to a sixshooter, as Bllker said. The fit of the cartridge case would be
with the cylinder holes, whereas the six holes in the part you found are
just "clearance" holes.

The rest of the gun (assembly of hand grip, frame & barrel) might still be in the ground near where you found the recovered item. If so, this could lead to a positive identification. You might want to go back there and search some more. ;) Also, the rest of the revolver being much heavier as an assembly, might be quite deep and beyond the reach of your detector.
Do you have a big shovel ? ;D

Good Luck !

Todd

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK. Lets shoot holes in the revolver theory.

Why would you make a multi-piece cylinder? Very weak design for what needs to be the strongest component.

Answer - to get the cartridges in and out.

Question - then why would you use big holes?

Answer - dunnow?

Question - maybe it's a transitional piece when blackpowder revolvers were being converted to breechloaders.

Answer - the breech faces were all relatively thick machined steel to keep the cases from blowing back and jamming the works.

Question - well maybe this was a new design and that's why it is apart from the pistol - because it bounced off the inventor's head on it's way past after he pulled the trigger and he never patented the design which is why we know of nothing like it in pistol designs now?

OK.

Looks live the lindexing wheel from a row planter/seeder. Each time one of the little nibs that extends up passes by the gate a seed drops out. Different wheels for different spacing and seed sizes.

Here's a modern example.

a3b9_1.JPG

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
It wouldn't be an earlier version of one of these puppies, by chance?

Tony

Attachments

• 533330.jpg
    533330.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B|lker

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for everyones idea`s.

I went to the gun show here in town and quizzed several people about it.
Only one gentleman replied there were 2-3 pieces missing.
They used to drill out the cap area to allow the insertion of the round.
Probably from someones modification of an 1864 Remington .36 caliber revolver / still unsure about the cylinders overall width which would match the piece i found measuring 2-5/16.

The old naval .36 caliber naval black powder revolver i have does not have that same diameter on the cylinder, it`s much smaller.

I did find out that the old Australian pepperbox had an overall cross dimension on the cylinder of 85mm and my piece is approximately 60mm.

Try to put that in your pocket:)

I have gone back with a somewhat larger shovel, but the amount of rock really slows things down.
Theres a tone but i cant seem to dig deep enough. I`ll keep digging and keep everyone informed.

Any one have a guesstimated date on this ingot of soldering lead found on mothers day in pullen park?

Attachments

• solder.jpg
    solder.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it has anything to do with a gun and I have seen a lot of guns. It appears to be some kind of sprocket, gear driven or by a chain. Part of some kind of machinery most likely. If it was found near a Civil War battle field, it could be part of the mechanism to elevate a cannon.... or adjust the sights? Then I guess technically it could be part of a gun? Monty

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's an engine timing gear similar to the one pictured.

timinggear.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B|lker

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A timing gear has teeth that cover the entire outer edge.

On this piece the teeth are open on one edge but terminate into a thin flat edge on the other.

I failed to mention that after further cleaning there seems to be a very thin wear mark between each of the outer holes near their centers.

Sorry about the solder post, it should have been separated.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A timing gear has teeth that cover the entire outer edge.

On this piece the teeth are open on one edge but terminate into a thin flat edge on the other.

OK, then how about a gear from a hand winch?

Hand-Winch.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread