What's new

handle?

CraigBrown

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2016
Messages
77
Reaction score
229
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this item last year and have thought about it for some time, copper, (was solid green when found), seems to be hamered not molded, was on a site nowhen for Hudson Bay trading and as well native American tribe lived there before the Hudson bay company. Any ideas, to what this was used for, I have a couple but like to see other input
 

Attachments

  • P_20181217_144554[1].webp
    P_20181217_144554[1].webp
    548.3 KB · Views: 99
  • P_20181217_144718[1].webp
    P_20181217_144718[1].webp
    433.4 KB · Views: 103
  • P_20181217_144618[1].webp
    P_20181217_144618[1].webp
    567 KB · Views: 99
I have found a few of those at old 1800’s farms in PA. I think they are attaching rings on horse drawn wagons and farm implements. Definitely old.
 
Upvote 0
Reminds me of a musket barrel band a bit, is it brass?
 
Upvote 0
could it be part of a drawer pull?
 
Upvote 0
Nice find, Congrats!!!
 
Upvote 0
I've never found a horse bit made of brass before? :icon_scratch:
So I'm thinking either drawer pull or possibly a lift handle from the side of a document box.

Dave
 
Upvote 0
I've never found a horse bit made of brass before? :icon_scratch:
So I'm thinking either drawer pull or possibly a lift handle from the side of a document box.

Dave


I'll drink to that!:occasion14:
 
Upvote 0
I've never found a horse bit made of brass before? :icon_scratch:
So I'm thinking either drawer pull or possibly a lift handle from the side of a document box.

Dave

i had the same thought. my guess is a drawer handle
 
Upvote 0
good ID nice relic
 
Upvote 0
My first thought was door knocker, but I've seen such rings on hitching posts in Dover, Delaware, where there was recently a sizable Amish community. Not so much any more ... getting too crowded for their liking.antique-hitching-post-linda-covino.webp
 
Upvote 0
Pretty sure nhbenz nailed it. And I've seen brass horse bits several times.
 
Upvote 0
I've never found a horse bit made of brass before? :icon_scratch:
Dave
Might this have been brass plated? I’d be curious whether it’s magnetic.
Although I only saw a few available with brass plating.
17416FD3-1845-4970-9B8C-D3B06244573B.webp
 
Upvote 0
Pretty sure nhbenz nailed it. And I've seen brass horse bits several times.

I have seen brass horse bits, too, but just the bit part itself. However, the rings have been chrome plated steel. A brass ring with a pivot point as small as the one is on Craig's ring would wear out before they could get the horse out of the barnyard.
 
Upvote 0
Interesting, was not the way I was leaning but I too think it the horse bit, I do see stretching in the metal that would have been caused by the tie downs. bit peic it is,
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom