Happy B-Day Model T

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen a few Model T keys posted in today's finds over the last couple of years and I thought you may find this interesting.

The Model T just celebrated it 100th Birthday. It arrived in showrooms on October 1st 1908.

Here are some other facts:

- It was the first car to be mass produced - starting in 1914.
- First to use interchangeable parts.
- First car to be made in different coutries.
- First 'global car' sold on six of the seven continents.
- The one car that standardized the left hand positioned steering wheel in America
- It cost $950 in 1911 but due to manufacturing efficiencies it only cost $290 in 1925.
- It was produced for 22 years and sold 15 million units.
- It was the best selling car in the world until 1972 when it was surpassed by the Volkswagen Beetle.
- The Model T was lighter then other cars of the time making it more maneuverable with fewer tire blow outs.
- The average cost of keeping a car on the road back then was $1500 a year but the model T was only around $100.
- The Model T won a cross country race against the three largest carmakers of the day: Shawmut, Acme and Itala
- It took the Model T 22 days to complete the race.

With over 15 million cars produced now I know why their keys turn up so often on T-Net.

I'm getting caught up on my reading but I can't wait until the snow is gone and the ground thaws.....come on spring.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread