Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one Tesroro I haven't tried. Using my F75, the soil here runs 55-60 on ground balance. No big deal you say. I have a silver quarter buried in a test garden around a foot deep. The problem with the soil is you can ground balance at say 55 and then sweep your coil 4 feet and it chirps during the sweep. It's chirping because the soil changed from 55 to 58. If you swing slow, it doesn't chirp. I can ground balance at 57 near the garden and then if I ground balance over the buried quarter, it shows 54. Hard to follow I know.

To sum up, when the ground mineralization changes 3 or 4 points during a sweep, and a silver quarter buried creates a change of 3 or 4 points, it's hard to make any progress triple checking chirps for targets or the ground changing under the coil.

And the Lobo may not make any difference either.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one Tesroro I haven't tried. Using my F75, the soil here runs 55-60 on ground balance. No big deal you say. I have a silver quarter buried in a test garden around a foot deep. The problem with the soil is you can ground balance at say 55 and then sweep your coil 4 feet and it chirps during the sweep. It's chirping because the soil changed from 55 to 58. If you swing slow, it doesn't chirp. I can ground balance at 57 near the garden and then if I ground balance over the buried quarter, it shows 54. Hard to follow I know.

To sum up, when the ground mineralization changes 3 or 4 points during a sweep, and a silver quarter buried creates a change of 3 or 4 points, it's hard to make any progress triple checking chirps for targets or the ground changing under the coil.

And the Lobo may not make any difference either.

Interesting on the 3-4 changes there for your area, I believe you are doing the right thing though anytime to can ground balance near a garden as it would be more responsive to more normal ground conditions composting looser soil etc, compactment harder soils can give you the differences with respect to moisture, mineralization and more halo effect on coins and checking for chirps makes sense in other areas. Great job your F75 is doing though sounds like. I believe what is happening when you make slower sweeps, and slower is always better.. to what I have just explained the chirping obviously would go down but the harder the soil and more mineral or halo affect has on metals, I think you MUST always slow it down and recheck the GB with all GB detectors especially if you are in fields where you find slops and poor drainage and and near more bushy areas or foilage with respect to area soil types can change the way a detector may respond with respect to falsing or chirping too. Water does appear to affect stronger signals yes but you have to be fair with how you treat your transmit and recieving responses to how you GB in most soil conditions for sure.

Great explanation Steve, and HH.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Lobo Super Traq, was not designed as a jewelry- or coin- shooter. It is a straight up All Metal gold nugget hunter. In All Metal, it is a killer, and can get very respectable depth with the right coil. Using the standard DD eliptical, is is really designed to go after shallow, small grain gold pickers and nuggets.

It can be used in "Discriminate" mode, but as soon as you switch out of All Metal, it goes into a factory pre-set ground balance, just like a Cibola or Silver uMax. What does that mean? It means that your depth has now been cut in half on coin sized targets. I have used the LST as a coin and jewelry machine as you'll see below, but that is NOT what this machine is designed to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread