Hardstone

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I am cleaning and moving the hardstone cabinet around. i put them out on the table out of the way while the work goes on.
Some of these have been posted before. Many are personal finds. A few are from David Young collection - Who's Who #5. Some of the others I obtained from farmers over the years. A few complete slate items; One is a full groove axe and another is a celt. Undamaged slate axes and celts are not common in this area.

hardstone_laidout.jpg

Upvote 26

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot dang that is a lot of great artifacts! I have seen museums with worse collections than this.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the one up top, slightly right of center? Lools interesting and appears to be flat on the bottom? Or am i just not seeing the thickness correctly and it looks thicker than it is?

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Not just a good number of them, but an A+ on quality and diversity.
Man, you are hardcore. Nice collection!
Smooth hardstone artifacts are so hard to find in my hunting areas. I would say extremely rare.
It may be because they are not found far-flung from historical villages or camps.

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
What is the one up top, slightly right of center? Lools interesting and appears to be flat on the bottom? Or am i just not seeing the thickness correctly and it looks thicker than it is?
I think you are referring to the spade 9 inches in length.
hardstone_spade1.jpg

hardstone_spade2.jpg

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking about the chipped broken one on the right actually although all your stuff i s good

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I was talking about the chipped broken one on the right actually although all your stuff i s good
Is this what you were referring to? This is a cache blade made of Harrison County flint.

Found by Byron Woodford Baxter (b:19 Jan 1885 d:30 Aug 1957) in Grant County IN about 1930s; I obtained this from his grandson Jeff Baxter.
cache_blade1.jpg

cache_blade2.jpg

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha no not that one the broken one right below the one that has the 6 or 9 on it that goes to the right edge

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh its a Hoe very massive and impressive looks almost like an owl if some eyes were put in. Thanks for making the extra effort to get me a better view. I assume it is Archaic maybe? like that would be the oldest hoe you ever held in your hands

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am cleaning and moving the hardstone cabinet around. i put them out on the table out of the way while the work goes on.
Some of these have been posted before. Many are personal finds. A few are from David Young collection - Who's Who #5. Some of the others I obtained from farmers over the years. A few complete slate items; One is a full groove axe and another is a celt. Undamaged slate axes and celts are not common in this area.

View attachment 2064999
That ax by the plummet holy chit!!! trophy ax?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions