Ribchester.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Hi Urien of Rheged
What I believe you may have found is a Roman Press Stamp?
It looks like the small end has been hammered, maybe for a metal coin engravement?
It would be of interest to dip the fat end in ink and make an engravement on paper?

View attachment 2141600
Wow. You may well have cracked it my friend.
If you look carefully too on that squared off and, there are little XII etched intonthe surface. Which might be there to tell the "stampee"?? What numerals he has. I'll find something to dip and get back to you pal. 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
I think this one may just well be something completly different folks.
under closer observation I realised plugged up with dirt there is a hole running through the other side.
And so how's about....
Harp tuning pin.
Few have been recovered but all known finds prior to the 14th-15th century are made from bone.
Its a dead ringer im sure you'll agree but this coming from a location with serious Roman form and it having that suspiciously Latin XII etched on all four sides its going straight to the FLO for further analysis and I'll let you know what they have to say about this one. Thanks for the interest and help though folks. And please if you disagree, do say so.

Attachments

• IMG_5037-1.jpeg
    IMG_5037-1.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Rib.jpg
    Rib.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 4

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this one may just well be something completly different folks.
under closer observation I realised plugged up with dirt there is a hole running through the other side.
And so how's about....
Harp tuning pin.
Few have been recovered but all known finds prior to the 14th-15th century are made from bone.
Its a dead ringer im sure you'll agree but this coming from a location with serious Roman form and it having that suspiciously Latin XII etched on all four sides its going straight to the FLO for further analysis and I'll let you know what they have to say about this one. Thanks for the interest and help though folks. And please if you disagree, do say so.
Looks like a great match to me.

I found some more examples and a bit more info here:

Jamie

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Looks like a great match to me.

I found some more examples and a bit more info here:

Jamie
Great info that, thanks very much. I think its safe to say this has been identified now.
Lancashire and the north west has ancient links with Ireland so it makes sense this could turn up here.
Getting a date is now the only job and handing it to the FLO is the final step as these are rare.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread