What's new

Harrassed By Teenagers at Beach

Terry Soloman

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
21,755
Reaction score
35,423
Golden Thread
1
Location
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had my first incident at the beach on Long Island last week, where I was harrassed by a teenager trying to show off for his friends. When it went beyond the verbal crap "Why don't you 'find' a job," "yo-ho-ho, where's your treasure chest?" - and the kid reached for my Sand Shark, I put his wrist up behind his ear and whispered that I was a disturbed veteran that did not appreciate his crude attempt to impress the little bikinis with him. While at the time I will admit, it felt good to scare the kid, as I thought about it, I really began to feel stupid - and frightened. Not afraid really for me - although I guess I should be, but upset that I put my hands on the kid. I could have pivoted away just as easily, and should have. I failed, because I'm sick and tired of these little no-respect, no-manners lunk-heads and their idiot remarks. I always just smile and walk on, I never reply. Unfortunately, this kid just took it too far. Well, I decided to be a little more proactive. I made myself a nice long sleeve white t-shirt for hunting on the beach, and applied a taste of my sick humor. How do You handle these situations?
 

Attachments

  • harrass.webp
    harrass.webp
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,018
Upvote 0
You handled it very well !!! some ,myself included,shoot first and ask questions latter,not always the best approach !!! I myself am a Vet,and have been in many fights in my younger years (aint testosteron a wonderful thing ) won some ,lost some ,no one is invinceable.The thing that a stupid man or woman fails to consider ,is that they truly have NO IDEA where the other person has been or what they are capable of. There is one more alternative ,,, grow your hair long , grow your beard long ,put on a Harley Davidson Shirt , the kids will either think your cool or just stay away ;D Thanks for your service sir !!! HH PPC
 
Nice :icon_thumleft: I think you did the right thing. Dont let unruly kids get the best of you
 
You did well . I have a standard reply to oxygen thieves that clutter up my space :
"You have two ways to unass my area . On your own with your dignity intact or in a body bag . Your choice . There are no other options ."
 
print this on a tee shirt (FRONT AND REAR)

----- WARNING ---

I'M NOT A "PEOPLE" PERSON

I'M BEST LEFT ALONE

YOU BEEN WARNED

STAY AWAY

FROM

ME

PAIN
HURT HURT
SUFFER SUFFER
HURT HURT
PAIN
 
You went with instinct, and since you are a decent guy, it turned out to be exactly the right gradient for this kid to get a useful lesson with no harm done. Something like that happened to me years ago at work, a kid thought I'd be fun to practice a few moves on, I just went with instinct as he came up to put his hands on me, and a few seconds later I released him from a finger hold after he promised to behave. I can't say we became friends exactly, but we had a good working relationship after that with no funny business. Most kids are basically good, but most everyone has the potential to do bad things, and kids are testing, learning the limits, finding out what our civilization permits, encourages or discourages in them. They need adults, and boys especially need adult males, to show them the boundaries of acceptable behavior. So, you did that young man a favor, and if he's like most kids, he was chastened and now realizes what he did was wrong.
 
I turn my headphones up loud so I don't hear the fools of the beach
 
For me hearing them isn't a problem, I ignore most comments as I usually can't hear them anyway, but I have had a problem with some teenagers throwing pennies for me to find. A few times I threw them back......If someone other than eye-candy grabs my equipment (LOL) I have a major problem with that.
 
Good for you for you for 'owning' that little turd. He probably felt like a real douche bag for getting owned in front of his friends. NO ONE has a right to touch us or our things without our permission. I would have done similar.

Maybe that scenario is a non-Texas thing. I have been detecting for years. I have never had a problem with that sort of behavior from anyone. I hunt quite a bit with The Beep Goes On. He can tell you that if anyone says anything to us, it is out of curiosity. We get the usual questions like "Found any buried treasure yet?" and "Looking for gold?" Hell, most folks aren't even paying attention to us. I just tell them I'm looking for pulltabs and broken zipper pulls (I think that makes me sound like a nutcase). But, maybe it is cuz I'm 6' and 205#, have a Julius Caesar haircut above a viking-style fu-man-chu, and I never leave home without my 4" Gerber. It doesn't really matter why people around here are polite. They just are. Must be a southern thing.
 
Blind.In.Texas said:
...But, maybe it is cuz I'm 6' and 205#, have a Julius Caesar haircut above a viking-style fu-man-chu, and I never leave home without my 4" Gerber. It doesn't really matter why people around here are polite. They just are. Must be a southern thing.

:laughing7: :laughing7: :notworthy: :sign13: You can detect with me ANYTIME! :hello2:
 
I salute you! :)

There are a lot of drunken teenagers who harass me (I'm tiny and that makes it funny somehow) at the Jersey Shore where I go, and I always wanted to do something like that. Nobody should have to be weary of anything at the beach besides the ocean! This goes especially for you as a veteran.
 
The sound "SNAP" comes to mind...with a loud scream following it!

Terry Soloman said:
I had my first incident at the beach on Long Island last week, where I was harrassed by a teenager trying to show off for his friends. When it went beyond the verbal crap "Why don't you 'find' a job," "yo-ho-ho, where's your treasure chest?" - and the kid reached for my Sand Shark, I put his wrist up behind his ear and whispered that I was a disturbed veteran that did not appreciate his crude attempt to impress the little bikinis with him. While at the time I will admit, it felt good to scare the kid, as I thought about it, I really began to feel stupid - and frightened. Not afraid really for me - although I guess I should be, but upset that I put my hands on the kid. I could have pivoted away just as easily, and should have. I failed, because I'm sick and tired of these little no-respect, no-manners lunk-heads and their idiot remarks. I always just smile and walk on, I never reply. Unfortunately, this kid just took it too far. Well, I decided to be a little more proactive. I made myself a nice long sleeve white t-shirt for hunting on the beach, and applied a taste of my sick humor. How do You handle these situations?
 
truckinbutch said:
"You have two ways to unass my area .

unass... LMAO :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
Punk: "Get a job".....

MDer: "Why? I make six figures a year doing this." :laughing7:
 
Terry Soloman said:
I had my first incident at the beach on Long Island last week, Unfortunately, this kid just took it too far. Well, I decided to be a little more proactive. I made myself a nice long sleeve white t-shirt for hunting on the beach, and applied a taste of my sick humor. How do You handle these situations?

Terry, I think you handled it just fine. A man can only take so much. Letting him be the aggressor (as you did) is the best option(in underage kids) I would have called it self defense. I am 6'4 and weigh 245 and my hunting partner is 6'6 and 265 and we usually hunt close by each other so we don't get picked on much but when it happens we usually just keep moving like we never heard them. I have never had someone get aggressive :boxing: but if I did I probably would have handled it exactly as you did. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
 
Yes, size does matter...lol...

I have never had any problem at any time (6'5", 300lbs) with anyone trying to harass. Its always curiosity...wanting to know if I found anything good or what type of machine, etc. etc.

That being said, I do agree male teenagers need a bit of "instruction" at times when they cross the line because they will test it if they feel they can get away with it...and in the strangest ways.

One day, I was filling my truck up with gas and I was cleaning the front windshield with the station squeegee and a group of male/female teenagers pulled up next to me in the next gas lane. I had my back to them at first but just happened to glance behind me at some point and found the oldest male of the group was mocking my squeegee technique behind my back with another squeegee, throwing it around in the air with an exaggerated "gay" action...not that there's anything wrong with that...lol. The teenage girls in his truck were giggling with glee until I took one quick step in his direction.

The scampering male and shocked female faces of anticipation were very satisfying...lol.

I then proceeded to mock the retreat quite effectively...but only for a split second.

Sometimes ya just gotta have some fun :laughing7:

My wife...for some strange reason...was not amused. :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom