Harvard Business School Professor, Goes to War Over $4 Worth of Chinese Food

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben Edelman, Harvard Business School Professor, Goes to War Over $4 Worth of Chinese Food

By Hilary Sargent
Boston.com Staff | 12.09.14 | 3:28 PM

Ben Edelman is an associate professor at Harvard Business School, where he teaches in the Negotiation, Organizations & Markets unit.

Ran Duan manages The Baldwin Bar, located inside the Woburn location of Sichuan Garden, a Chinese restaurant founded by his parents.
Related Link

Last week, Edelman ordered what he thought was $53.35 worth of Chinese food from Sichuan Gardenā€™s Brookline Village location.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Edelman soon came to the horrifying realization that he had been overcharged. By a total of $4.

If youā€™ve ever wondered what happens when a Harvard Business School professor thinks a family-run Chinese restaurant screwed him out of $4, youā€™re about to find out.

(Hint: It involves invocation of the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Statute and multiple threats of legal action.)

email2ad.png

Surprised yet? We were, too.

In addition to teaching at HBS, Edelman also operates a consulting practice where he advises clients like Microsoft, the NFL, the New York Times, and Universal Music on ā€œpreventing and detecting online fraud (especially advertising fraud).ā€ (Thatā€™s from Edelmanā€™s own website, which it seems safe to presume is always kept up to date.)

He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard College. He has a Ph.D. in economics from Harvard University, and a law degree from Harvard Law School.

Ran Duan moved to the U.S. from China when he was 3-years-old. His father had hoped to support the family with a career as an opera singer, but when that didnā€™t pan out, Duan says ā€œlike all Chinese families we decided to open up a restaurant.ā€

Sichuan Garden opened its doors in Brookline in the early 1990s. A second location followed in Woburn.

Despite the restaurantā€™s successful expansion, Duan admittted that Sichuan does not have the budget for teams devoted to public relations or a website that is updated as regularly as it should be.

MAIN ART.png

Screenshot of Sichuan Gardenā€™s website as of December 9.

ā€œI personally respond to every complaint and try to handle every situation personally,ā€ said Duan, who was profiled by Boston Magazine in June and featured in GQ Magazine last month as ā€œAmericaā€™s Most Imaginative Bartender.ā€

The exchange with Edelman stood out to Duan. ā€œI have worked so hard to make my family proud and to elevate our business. It just broke my heart.ā€

Edelman told Boston.com that investigating pricing discrepancies by neighborhood restaurants isnā€™t something he does every day.

ā€œI mostly look for malfeasance by larger companies,ā€ he said. ā€œIt certainly seems like a situation that could call for legal redress. But this is a small business in the town where I reside.ā€

As for the troves of angry customers likely looking for recourse? Edelman pointed Boston.com to Massachusetts General Law, Section XV, Chapter 93A, Section 9. (Translation: If you didnā€™t pass the Massachusetts bar, but still feel as though you must do SOMETHING, then just gather all the receipts youā€™ve saved, along with all screenshots you took and saved of the website menu in case that dinner order ever ended up in court, find a lawyer whose fees arenā€™t likely to exceed the few dollars youā€™re seeking, and ... voila?)

As for Edelman, he alerted town officials in Brookline about the matter, but told Boston.com he doesnā€™t expect them to take action. He plans to ā€œtake a few daysā€ before deciding whether to pursue any further legal action against the restaurant.

Oh and the food? Edelman admitted: ā€œIt was delicious.ā€

Not trying to cause a problem but just confused... Curious why this was posted in the Comedy section? Shouldn't this have been posted in the News section?

I just got around to reading the story .
requesting a refund sounds like something I would do.
But then I'm not on a Harvard Business School, associate professor's salary either.
of course I would have slipped the refund to the delivery persons tip bonus

first off I blame Harvard.
Harvard in my mind is an elitist establishment.

secondly according to what I read, Sichuan Gardenā€™s has more then one location ?
that makes them the Same as Mcdonald's in my book ,
not Mom & Pop any more . (food Chain ? No ? )

thirdly perhaps Sichuan Gardenā€™s should hire Edelman if they haven't already.
perhaps he bought stock in Sichuan Gardenā€™s awhile back & wanted it to go up in value :laughing7: time for franchises
Sichuan Garden ā€˜Overwhelmedā€™ by Outpouring of Support

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back