What's new

Has anyone ever found a capped bust half.....

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2007
Messages
1,774
Reaction score
569
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
I believe i saw one before but i cant remember. So
Has anyone ever found a Capped Bust half?
 
Upvote 0
Yeah, Someone got one at a bank from a teller but never in a roll. At least not since I have been here. We had a thread a few months ago about the likleyhood of finding one in a roll. I conducted a little experament with one of my Capped Bust halves trying to fit it in a hand roll. I concluded that it was deffinately possible to fit one in a hand roll but that it was a very tight fit and the coin will most likely not lie completely flat in the roll. The Capped Bust as you probably know is a slightly larger size than the modern half dollar. I believe that it would be near impossible to find one in a machine wrapped roll because they are so tight and most sorting machines would not allow it through. If people can on rare occassions find gold coins or seated half dollars the it is entirely possible to find a Capped Bust. It is just a matter of time.

Golden Silver
 
Maine_Jim, didn't you find one acouple months back?
 
Yes - a teller handed me one at face. I was a bit shocked. Since then I have had tellers hand me a few Morgans and Peace dollars and a 3 cent piece. Here are photos of the Capped Bust. Too bad it was drilled but I still like it!

Maine_Jim
 

Attachments

  • CappedBust1834Obverse2.webp
    CappedBust1834Obverse2.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 448
  • CappedBust1834Reverse2.webp
    CappedBust1834Reverse2.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 447
  • CappedBust1834Obverse2.webp
    CappedBust1834Obverse2.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 448
  • CappedBust1834Reverse2.webp
    CappedBust1834Reverse2.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 437
Capped Bust will not make it to the Counting Machine.

The diamerter is bigger then the others.

Kenns
Benns
Walkers
Barbers
Seated Liberty

are all he same diameters

Capped and belowe are bigger diameters

DW
 
nice!! apart from the hole, thats in good condition too!!
 
Darth Walker said:
Capped Bust will not make it to the Counting Machine.

The diamerter is bigger then the others.

Kenns
Benns
Walkers
Barbers
Seated Liberty

are all he same diameters

Capped and belowe are bigger diameters

DW

This is only true for some counters. Keep in mind that the Irish Punt is larger than your standard half, and yet we get those in rolls.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom