What's new

Has anyone ever heard of asian trade coins?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
4,599
Reaction score
2,232
Golden Thread
0
Location
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a chance to buy some but I am not familier with them. The guy that wants to sell them could only give a brief description. He said someone once told him they had "chalk marks" on them. He had them put away and will get them this week for me to look at. He also said they were used in Asian trade before WWII. Other then that he knew nothing.

Neither did google. >:(
 
Upvote 0
I think he meant "Trade Dollars" They were US coins the were made in the 1970's till about 1878 or so. They were used in Asia and a lot of Asian companies would make a "chop mark" counter stamp on them. The last pix has some "chopmarks". Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Here is a link for more info on Trade Dollars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dollar

In this link they say that Japan and the UK also had Trade Dollars too.
 

Attachments

  • 1884_trade_dollar_p65_obv.webp
    1884_trade_dollar_p65_obv.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 1884_trade_dollar_p65_rev.webp
    1884_trade_dollar_p65_rev.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 1874cc chopmarks.webp
    1874cc chopmarks.webp
    51 KB · Views: 233
"chalk marks" on them. He had them put away and will get them this week for me to look at. He also said they were used in Asian trade before WWII
Boy did that guy get his facts wrong. I guess whoever told him what he repeated to me didn't know too much.

He did say he inherreted them from his aunt so they have been around for quite some time. I may not have to worry about a counterfit coin. (go look at ebay, most are copies)
Or, maybe he is slick and he knows they are counterfit and I am the sucker. :'(


Thanks for your knowledge. :thumbsup:
 
Just make sure the chop marks are not all in the same place. I would think that if they are counterfeit they would make maybe just a couple different dates with the chop marks in the same places. Good luck and let us know what happens.
 
Hey all,

I have some real ones from America, Britian, Korea and or Asian also some unknown ones. I also have a bunch of fakes, they are easy to spot. Here are some examples I have learned to tell counterfeit pieces. One the reed-ed edges will not be strait across they will shift angles like this /\/\/\/\(wrong) instead of ||||||(right)Two the plan of the coin will have bumps or unlevel areas in them. Three the most obvious way to tell if they are fake is. Will a magnet stick to them if the magnet sticks it is likely steel and fake. If it won't stick then you could have a real silver one. So when you go to look at the coins bring a refrigerator magnet and check the edges and plans of the coin.

Best of luck, I hope they are real and you get a good deal.

Keep @ it and HH!!
 

Attachments

  • China1 003.webp
    China1 003.webp
    121.1 KB · Views: 172
  • China1 001.webp
    China1 001.webp
    57.5 KB · Views: 173
  • chinarama1 007.webp
    chinarama1 007.webp
    46.7 KB · Views: 177
  • chinarama1 012.webp
    chinarama1 012.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 179
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I have some real ones from America, Britian, Korea and or Asian also some unknown ones. I also have a bunch of fakes, they are easy to spot.

Thanks for the great info. Is there a rule of thumb :thumbsup: on what to pay? Should I go in and try to pay silver value? Or are they always worth a good deal more?

I have spotted plenty of fake silver dollars and pesos here in SoCA (swap meets mostly) and your description is right on. Never thought about the magnet though, thanks.
 
Hey,

Mainly they are like Morgan or Peace Dollars, the prices can range anywhere from $7 to $10,000 + Dollars. Just offer him melt or just above is better to start if he says no think of Morgan Dollars as the same. A nice AU one should sell for about $30.00 but make sure they are real first.


Keep @ it and HH!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom