What's new

Has anyone found an 1974-d obverse double die?

I haven't UH....but I don't really search for them. I might look at one out of every 20.

A few folks in here have though.
 
They're found with some regularity. I've found only three but then I only look when I do boxes, which is rare. Hard to look for them while sitting in a casino! TNet user wayne1956 has found over 100 of them. :o
 
I quit counting after 100, I have found about 160 now. Unfortunately they are not as rare as I had hoped, but they are a die variety and sometimes they have been the only thing found in a box. I usually put all 74D's aside when I search a box then use the magnifying glass on all of them. I generally find one out of every 250 - 300 74D coins or so. Sometime I am going to put a roll of them on ebay just to see what they might bring.
 
Hey Utah, I have found 2 of the 74d ddo's. This is out of about 30,000 halves searched, and checked for errors (with a loupe). The two that I have are "no doubters". I know that I have thrown several "probablys", and many "maybe's" back into the water. The problem seems to be finding 74d's that are in good enough shape that the doubling is still evident. After all, these things have been floating around out there for 33 years or so. There are probably many out there, but finding one in decent shape seems to be the challenge. Good luck. Gpurs...
 
I've got pics of several I've found posted in this forum. I've found three so far, I think. traded one off for a 1964 DD.
 
Thanks for the info everyone. I want to find a "no doubter" as gpurs put it for my collection. They aren't as rare as I have been led to believe over the years. I checked out ebay last night after I had posted the question and am surprised at the prices for uncirculated examples.
 
Good topic. I set the 74 D's aside and search them later, as Wayne does. I have
found 26 I think so far this year. Several in pretty good condition. Their out there,
just be persistent!

Later,
Remy
 
soldierman said:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,107161.0.html

I just found one about a week ago. Someone else asked and I posted a pic but the coin is already in a 2x2 holder so the pic isn't great but its clearly a DDO.

That is a good one, that is what I am looking for. I went through about 40 74-d's in todays boxes but no DDO. Thanks for the post, I missed it the first time around.
 
I've found a few 1974-D DDO
a couple of 1977-D DDO
and a 1971-D DDO
 
I have yet to find one after 15 months of hunting. I check every 1974 D I find.

Someday.
:)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom