Has anyone got a cheap Chinese detector that worked?

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I am well aware that Chinese detectors are pretty poor, especially in comparison with the best brand names. But, I wonder, has anyone, ever, got one which actually worked for a while? Or, are 100% like Kleenex intended for instant disposal?

I hesitate to buy an expensive one, like Garrett, for my small lot here near the treasure of Moctezuma. My lot is adjacent and I do not expect to find a major treasure, but it would be nice to look for lost coins and just plain antique junk of no value, except curiosity. My neighbors are descended, not from the Emperors, but from important caciques 200 years ago. All this big lot, 1.2 acres, was originally owned by them, now it is ours.

In fact, even though legally anything I find will either be Federal property, or belongs to current owner of the land, I plan to give anything I find to the current young people of that family. Assuming it is not Federal Property.

So, it is hard to spend up to $600 for $2 of junk, and satisfying my curiosity.

Thirty years ago, I bought an expensive Garrett, but two years ago, I dug it out and with good batteries, it was dead. But, in any case it is in the USA and essentially not accessible. I wonder if it is the usual problem of dead electrolytic capacitors so common in old electronics.

Back in the Fifties, Japanese stuff was also cheap junk, until they listened to Doctor Demming, and now they produce some of the highest quality items in the world.

Amazon Mexico has several really cheap ones around $100 USD delivered to my door.

Last edited:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I am well aware that Chinese detectors are pretty poor, especially in comparison with the best brand names. But, I wonder, has anyone, ever, got one which actually worked for a while? Or, are 100% like Kleenex intended for instant disposal?

I hesitate to buy an expensive one, like Garrett, for my small lot here near the treasure of Moctezuma. My lot is adjacent and I do not expect to find a major treasure, but it would be nice to look for lost coins and just plain antique junk of no value, except curiosity. My neighbors are descended, not from the Emperors, but from important caciques 200 years ago. All this big lot, 1.2 acres, was originally owned by them, now it is ours.

In fact, even though legally anything I find will either be Federal property, or belongs to current owner of the land, I plan to give anything I find to the current young people of that family. Assuming it is not Federal Property.

So, it is hard to spend up to $600 for $2 of junk, and satisfying my curiosity.

Thirty years ago, I bought an expensive Garrett, but two years ago, I dug it out and with good batteries, it was dead. But, in any case it is in the USA and essentially not accessible. I wonder if it is the usual problem of dead electrolytic capacitors so common in old electronics.

Back in the Fifties, Japanese stuff was also cheap junk, until they listened to Doctor Demming, and now they produce some of the highest quality items in the world.

Amazon Mexico has several really cheap ones around $100 USD delivered to my door.
I would save my $100 and look for a good used lower end machine by a reputable company. A friend bought a cheap unit a few years ago. It used regular batteries instead of a rechargeable unit. He spent a lot on batteries. Could have bought a better machine with the battery money added in. Good luck.👍🏼

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dr. Otek MT-XR is about $149 on Amazon and works well. I bought it to see if I would like metal detecting. Found a bunch of coins and relics with it. Good for about 4-5 inches deep.

It uses a 9 volt battery. I use rechargeable EBL Lithium 9 volts. Use the headphones and it lasts several hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I would save my $100 and look for a good used lower end machine by a reputable company. A friend bought a cheap unit a few years ago. It used regular batteries instead of a rechargeable unit. He spent a lot on batteries. Could have bought a better machine with the battery money added in. Good luck.👍🏼
Sounds like good advice, IF I lived in the USA. Not likely to find used MD's here in the mountains of Mexico. In my case, I do not expect to use it for more than a short time so batteries are not a big problem, but it is good to know, thanks.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Dr. Otek MT-XR is about $149 on Amazon and works well. I bought it to see if I would like metal detecting. Found a bunch of coins and relics with it. Good for about 4-5 inches deep.

It uses a 9 volt battery. I use rechargeable EBL Lithium 9 volts. Use the headphones and it lasts several hours.
Thanks for tip on batteries.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I have mixed results on Internet searches. I spent time looking for info on-line with little luck. Then, I posted this posting for this thread, went back and searched again, and found some reviews on Youtube, which would have answered my question before I asked it, Hee hee. Still, I learned from the answers which was important. Thanks, all. I found I can get several delivered to my door here in rural Mexico. so may give it a try.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I have mixed results on Internet searches. I spent time looking for info on-line with little luck. Then, I posted this posting for this thread, went back and searched again, and found some reviews on Youtube, which would have answered my question before I asked it, Hee hee. Still, I learned from the answers which was important. Thanks, all. I found I can get several delivered to my door here in rural Mexico. so may give it a try.
Good luck Bigfoot.👍🏼

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't expect it to last long. Not that it couldn't though. And would expect it to not discriminate very well.

If I were wanting to get a cheap cheap detector, I'd probably just look at bounty hunters. At least they are made by a reputable company. Another option is to buy something used to save money.

Edit: missed your previous answer about getting used in your location. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Good luck Bigfoot.👍🏼
My feet are 13's in the USA. The old system in Mexico called them 32, when I tell Mexicans my shoe size they gasp and my size shoes are simply not sold anywhere. Once my wife found Crocs to fit me, but only once.

Decisions like this are strong on hind sight, which is true in many areas. Years ago, I had a beautiful Pontiac station wagon, gigantic thing, looked nice,, ran nice. Motor got bad so I paid for a total overhaul, and it came out great. But, that year the body started converting itself to rust flakes. So, in the end it was a mistake to work on the motor.

But, I compare all possible bad decisions to the biggest mistake I ever made, which has something to do with a bad marriage 50 years ago. I couldn't match the horror of that mistake if I tried, so by comparison everything else dwindles to nothing.

If I buy a cheapie and it is a mistake, mistakes and moving past them are a normal part of life. Of course, I do not want to waste $100 but if I do it will not in the long run amount to much of anything.

Years ago, I read a book by a corporate CEO, He said part of being a CEO is to bring in new talent into the executive offices. He said he picked good people, and observed how they did. But, when they were close to being moved up, he would assign them a large task which was guaranteed to fail. He wanted to know how they dealt with failure,
since everyone will eventually fail at something.

Davy Crockett said be sure you are correct, then go ahead. Nonsense. I say give it your best shot and then go ahead. Sometimes you will find yourself in a mess, work through it. No one can be right all the time.

I will think about it a lot, then decide, and will let you know how it came out. Such is life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread