Has anyone Modified the frequency on a metal detector?

Bluefrontside

Oct 11, 2012
Coeur d'Alene, Id
I have a Cabela's Treasure Hunter metal detector got it out of the bargain cave for $100, 2 years ago. It is a bounty hunter very low frequency: 6.7 kHz was a display model. It has been fun to use to find coins and a few other things. But I am mainly into gold prospecting and am curious if anyone has ever attempted to modify the frequency to a much higher range say 300 to 400 (like the Falcon MD20). I know that with the higher frequency comes a loss of many other attributes such as depth and some control. I have viewed several metal detector builds online and it appears that I could change out a component or 2 and increase the frequency. I do tinker with electronics at a very basic level but am willing to sacrifice this metal detector for a chance to convert it. Or let me know if I would be money ahead to just by an MD20 and let the kids play with the Treasure hunter.

But I am wondering if any one has ever done it or attempted to do it?

Upvote 0
While you may be able to alter the freq. internally it would of little use because the coil would have to be altered in the same way. Difficult at best but cost prohibitive most likely.

While you may be able to alter the freq. internally it would of little use because the coil would have to be altered in the same way. Difficult at best but cost prohibitive most likely.

Not all detectors use different frequency coils and still have the capability of changing frequencies. I would agree that working a low end detector wouldn't be worth the time and effort, true gold prospecting detectors are expensive for a reason.

Not all detectors use different frequency coils and still have the capability of changing frequencies. I would agree that working a low end detector wouldn't be worth the time and effort, true gold prospecting detectors are expensive for a reason.

+100!

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will hold out for a Md20 to test some areas i have found some small gold. Then save up for a gold bug 2 or a ATGold. I am expecting to spend time with the coil in the bottom of a few local creeks.

Gold prospecting is the most difficult thing that can be done with a metal detector. You can't fiddle a low end unit to turn it into a serious gold machine Not even I can do that, and I've been in the business for more than three decades.

What you need, is to know what the heck you're doing. The best presently available intro to knowing what the heck you're doing is "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector", an online book you can read for free on the Fisher and Teknetics websites.

--Dave J.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back