Has anyone sold canadian pennies for melt

Even though it's legal to melt them here in the states, they still won't bring the figures you see on coinflation. No one gets the $3.30 a lb. market price on even the purest of #1 (99.9% purity) copper wire and solder-free tubing when they go to sell it for scrap (including the scrapyard). The melting requires consumable materials and fuel to run the furnace, plus the cost of labor. All this detracts from the value that can be paid for any form of copper, or any other metal for that matter, and still be profitable to the buyer.

However, as hard as they are to find here, (compared to U.S. copper anyways) they will bring a slightly higher premium than U.S. coins. Generally, cents are shipped $95-$100 at a time, which is right around 68lbs., and can be shipped in a large flat rate box (70lb. weight limit) for around $10. I have seen people selling $50 lots at a time, but I feel you should get the most bang for your buck and wait until you can make it the most cost effective for both parties. I would entertain an offer for some copper, but it wouldn't be anywhere near melt. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Just out of curiosity, what is the copper content of Canadian pennies?
Have they changed content in the last 50 years, how many times and what are the breakdowns?
Thanks!

Scott

AU24K said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the copper content of Canadian pennies?
Have they changed content in the last 50 years, how many times and what are the breakdowns?
Thanks!

Scott

Go to coinflation.com/canada
I would tell you, but there is so many different contents. Hope this helps.

I agree with the mindset that now is the time to hold on to them. I wouldn't sell them just yet. US pennies are selling for 1.5 to 1.7 cents each on eBay (in large quantities) even though melt value is over 2 cents. So the price on eBay will usually lag melt price. With that said you aren't going to make a killing on them selling them on eBay or anywhere else until the price goes up significantly. I'd wait until they reach 3+ cents before even considering selling. And I'm personally waiting until they reach 10 cents each in probably 30 years. ;D

mistergee said:
Even though it's legal to melt them here in the states
sorry....it is ILLEGAL to melt pennys in the U.S.
Lincolns,yes. But not Canadian. In Canada it's the other way around. That's why you aren't allowed to take very many cents and nickels out of the country.

MCPrice302 said:
mistergee said:

Canadian coinage is perfectly legal to melt in the U.S. I was not referring to American coinage though. Like enamel said, it's just the opposite in Canada.

You found a law that states that? I don't think it is legal to melt Canadian coinage in the US. I'm actually pretty positive about that fact after reviewing coin laws in the States. Would love to see a link that proves me wrong.

CoinCollecting said:
MCPrice302 said:
mistergee said:

Canadian coinage is perfectly legal to melt in the U.S. I was not referring to American coinage though. Like enamel said, it's just the opposite in Canada.

You found a law that states that? I don't think it is legal to melt Canadian coinage in the US. I'm actually pretty positive about that fact after reviewing coin laws in the States. Would love to see a link that proves me wrong.

There is no law stating that it is illegal to melt foreign coins in the states. After all, think about it.. why would the U.S. care if some other country's coins get melted here?.. Would the government here care if some Mexican Peso or some Fijian penny got destroyed? lol. If you find it, state the gov. code here.

As of right now, it is only illegal to melt U.S. pennies and nickels here in the U.S. That was a 2006 law. The whole point about the melt-ban is that they didn't want to effect the amount of pennies and nickels in circulation. Same thing they did for silver coins back in the 60's but they have since rescinded the law because they have produced significant enough clad to replace those coins since. Foreign coins don't matter since they can't be used here anyhow.

Right now, I save all pre-1979 Canadian coppers which are 98% copper. Others since are different compositions with less and less copper. I plan on one day selling them to metal recycler if I can but I just don't have enough of them to do so yet.

SFBayArea said:
Right now, I save all pre-1979 Canadian coppers which are 98% copper. Others since are different compositions with less and less copper. I plan on one day selling them to metal recycler if I can but I just don't have enough of them to do so yet.

If you're saving for copper content, you might want to double check your dates. Canadian cents are 98% copper through 1996.

Not me, I'm hanging on to my Canadian for when the dollar goes bye bye :laughing7:

FormerTeller said:
SFBayArea said:

If you're saving for copper content, you might want to double check your dates. Canadian cents are 98% copper through 1996.

The copper amount is down on ones after 79.. little by little. If you notice the edges on the Canadian cents in the early 90's.. all have less copper.. not saying that they don't have copper because they do but not as much as the pre-79 ones

SFBayArea said:
CoinCollecting said:
MCPrice302 said:
mistergee said:

There is no law stating that it is illegal to melt foreign coins in the states. After all, think about it.. why would the U.S. care if some other country's coins get melted here?.. Would the government here care if some Mexican Peso or some Fijian penny got destroyed? lol. If you find it, state the gov. code here.

As of right now, it is only illegal to melt U.S. pennies and nickels here in the U.S. That was a 2006 law. The whole point about the melt-ban is that they didn't want to effect the amount of pennies and nickels in circulation. Same thing they did for silver coins back in the 60's but they have since rescinded the law because they have produced significant enough clad to replace those coins since. Foreign coins don't matter since they can't be used here anyhow.

But it is illegal in Canada, so wouldn't someone physically in Canada be liable for "intent" when taking them across the border or selling them to someone in the U.S. or where ever? Can't just say, "Oh, I didn't know they were going to melt them once they left the country." Right?

CoinCollecting said:
SFBayArea said:
CoinCollecting said:
MCPrice302 said:
mistergee said:

But it is illegal in Canada, so wouldn't someone physically in Canada be liable for "intent" when taking them across the border or selling them to someone in the U.S. or where ever? Can't just say, "Oh, I didn't know they were going to melt them once they left the country." Right?
Laws for their coinage probably close to ours. You are only allowed to take so much nickels and cents out of the country. What we find of theirs we keep and what they find of ours they keep.
HH
enamel7

Both the U.S. & Canada have export laws pertaining to how much coin one can take across borders. It doesn't matter for me since all Canadians I've gotten are from CRHing not exporting. I don't even live anywhere near Canada.

BTW - Canadian culls their coins so CRHing there isn't so great.

Hmmm... :icon_scratch:

Seems to me that if you take a 20-30 pound blob of copper to the recycler,
they aren't going to ask you, "Are these Canadian cents or US cents?"

I dunno, I'm just sittin' on the porch listenin'.... :dontknow:

Best,
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back