What's new

Has this been done B4?

47thelement

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
161
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Beach/Shallow water convention?

I'm talking large scale with vendors, demonstrations, break-out classes, q&a with manufacturers etc.

Any interest in doing one next spring?
 
Upvote 0
Just what we need, to draw more attention and get more competition.
 
goldfever said:
Just what we need, to draw more attention and get more competition.
+1
 
goldfever said:
Just what we need, to draw more attention and get more competition.
That was mean't as a funny right? You actually think that a treasure expo type show with seminars with manufacturer and dealer tables and displays would actually create more competition?? Seriously??? Do you leave your house to go metal detecting with your machine and scoop in a plain brown wrapper so as not to attract attention to yourself (I mean...it would suck if one of your neighbors saw you and wanted to take up the hobby too. That would ruin everything!) :laughing7: I assume you are probably a night hunter too....after all those beach crowds would all be flocking to get in on the action if they saw you out diggin all that gold....Ya know?....you just might have a point....either that or you are really really Paranoid.... :evil6: :laughing11:
 
Although I live 7k miles away and have not been to it there was a nice get together for several years in FL, sadly the organizer recently passed away. And I also agree with the others that lately there is ever more competition for hunting spots and finds have dropped quite a bit due to the economy and the sight of detectors vacuuming the beach makes people watch their valuables a lot better. This still does not mean we shouldn't have get togethers if set up right no problem, but the others still have a valid point.
 
huh seems theres 2 sides here.everyone has their opinions,im with montauk and the other guy on this one.sorry surfdigger mine and your thoughts arent even on the same planet.you might have more money than god but i dont and the last thing i need is another mder on the beach,call it what you will there is enough competition out there as it is.
 
snooksion2 said:
huh seems theres 2 sides here.everyone has their opinions,im with montauk and the other guy on this one.sorry surfdigger mine and your thoughts arent even on the same planet.you might have more money than god but i dont and the last thing i need is another mder on the beach,call it what you will there is enough competition out there as it is.

Add to this the manufactures won't want to set up near each other. They don't really like intelligent questions and rely on our believing the claims they make in print and videos. You won't see any side by side demo's either.
 
Surfdigger said:
goldfever said:
Just what we need, to draw more attention and get more competition.
That was mean't as a funny right? You actually think that a treasure expo type show with seminars with manufacturer and dealer tables and displays would actually create more competition?? Seriously??? Do you leave your house to go metal detecting with your machine and scoop in a plain brown wrapper so as not to attract attention to yourself (I mean...it would suck if one of your neighbors saw you and wanted to take up the hobby too. That would ruin everything!) :laughing7: I assume you are probably a night hunter too....after all those beach crowds would all be flocking to get in on the action if they saw you out diggin all that gold....Ya know?....you just might have a point....either that or you are really really Paranoid.... :evil6: :laughing11:

Since you insist on being a do- gooder and teaching everyone how to find stuff on the beach, why not really help people out by having seminars on the beach teaching people how not to lose their jelwery :laughing9:
Put the seminar next to the treasure expo at AC beach. Make sure to advertize all that on national tv too :laughing9:
 
Had one for 8 years, it was called "The Great Southern Beach Shootout" held in Daytona Beach, 3 days of competition hunts, (7 seeded hunts) seminars, and displays..........Sadly, it ended in 2009.................... :'(
 
Wow I didn't mean to kick up a hornets nest....

I honestly would love to go to a seminar where somebody had seeded a roped off beach and set me loose with my excal. Then taught me to listen closely to to different sounds, and have and explanation of why I'm hearing what I hear. ie. salt mineraliztion, improper settings, finds, etc.

Granted I gain a wealth of knowledge from some of the greats here such as Sandman, Surfdigger, Snookism, and Treasurehunter, however I have never personally never met any of you. You just learn much more when you have that face to face interaction.

Surfdigger - I'm going to have to look you up, you're only a couple hours away.
Sandman- I'm no stranger to many of your lakes, next time I get around Wide Track I'm going find you.

Until then Ill just learn however I can!
 
I was demonstrating absurdity with absurdity.....thats all that was......does anyone ever remember the FMDAC conventions that have been around yearly since 1984? We had them in places like Atlantic City and Clearwater beach for many years.....Another one was The Texas Council of Metal detecting clubs treasure Expo. That is a huge yearly event that draws quite a few to it. George Streeter had a show called "The Best of the North east" event that brought folks from all over New England and the Mid-atlantic together every year....I think he still has it.......Lots of treasure hunting clubs out there too.....I guess these entities must be a real detriment to all those "lone wolves" out there....let me ask you folks that are so worried about anyone else finding out about this great thing we have here....why do you participate in a forum like this?....aren't you all just a little afraid that someone else might find out about all this gold that we find and become "competition" too?? I say lets just keep doing what we are doing and have fun....and what ever you do....stop worrying about what the other guy is up to and just worry about making yourself the best water and beach detectorist you can be already ok? That's my rant....HH....Brian
 
There was a fairly successful beach detecting/shipwreck convention in Cocoa Beach, Florida in 2007 started by the late, great Pegleg from TreasureNet.

Last year, XxX from TreasureNet held a convention in Myrtle Beach, SC. that did well too.

Tom
 
goldfever said:
Surfdigger said:
goldfever said:
Just what we need, to draw more attention and get more competition.
That was mean't as a funny right? You actually think that a treasure expo type show with seminars with manufacturer and dealer tables and displays would actually create more competition?? Seriously??? Do you leave your house to go metal detecting with your machine and scoop in a plain brown wrapper so as not to attract attention to yourself (I mean...it would suck if one of your neighbors saw you and wanted to take up the hobby too. That would ruin everything!) :laughing7: I assume you are probably a night hunter too....after all those beach crowds would all be flocking to get in on the action if they saw you out diggin all that gold....Ya know?....you just might have a point....either that or you are really really Paranoid.... :evil6: :laughing11:

Since you insist on being a do- gooder and teaching everyone how to find stuff on the beach, why not really help people out by having seminars on the beach teaching people how not to lose their jelwery :laughing9:
Put the seminar next to the treasure expo at AC beach. Make sure to advertize all that on national tv too :laughing9:

I'm sorry that you feel that way about me.....well I guess I can't help everyone out there....cmon man spend your time enjoying the hobby and being a bit more positive and less time flaming others....we're all here to share this hobby/sport that we all love....believe me the ones with the constructive/positive messages here tend to stay around longer and I find that most are better rounded beach, water and surf hunters as well.....
 
finally some of you are getting this it seems that by showing what we find has added to this problem i quit showing or even telling because their used to be only a few that hunted the water now theres alot so quit showing the good stuff its in our best interest
 
excal/pirate said:
finally some of you are getting this it seems that by showing what we find has added to this problem i quit showing or even telling because their used to be only a few that hunted the water now theres alot so quit showing the good stuff its in our best interest

I believe most people who see something on a web board that was found and decide to run out and buy a detector quickly discover that it isn't as easy as walking down the beach just picking up gold and will tire quickly of it and quit...........As far as beach hunting, it is the people who enjoy the thrill of the hunt, the sound of the surf, fresh air, and excercise who will stick with it..............
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
excal/pirate said:
finally some of you are getting this it seems that by showing what we find has added to this problem i quit showing or even telling because their used to be only a few that hunted the water now theres alot so quit showing the good stuff its in our best interest

I believe most people who see something on a web board that was found and decide to run out and buy a detector quickly discover that it isn't as easy as walking down the beach just picking up gold and will tire quickly of it and quit...........As far as beach hunting, it is the people who enjoy the thrill of the hunt, the sound of the surf, fresh air, and excercise who will stick with it..............
I agree with Treasure Hunter.....many want to try....a few go the next step and buy a machine....verrrrrrrry few ever stay in the hobby long enough to ever become accomplished enough to ever pose any serious threat to most of us....and most usually end up throwing the machine in the closet and it lands in the yard sale a few years later....worry?....not me....surprised that some of us actually waste our time agonizing over this?.....yeah a little....LOL
 
Surfdigger said:
excal/pirate said:
finally some of you are getting this it seems that by showing what we find has added to this problem i quit showing or even telling because their used to be only a few that hunted the water now theres alot so quit showing the good stuff its in our best interest

Huh??? For real??? I won't even waste the space responding to that post...LOL
i really dont give a rats *ss about what you think (seems alot of others feel the same way )
 
excal/pirate said:
Surfdigger said:
excal/pirate said:
finally some of you are getting this it seems that by showing what we find has added to this problem i quit showing or even telling because their used to be only a few that hunted the water now theres alot so quit showing the good stuff its in our best interest

Huh??? For real??? I won't even waste the space responding to that post...LOL
i really dont give a rats *ss about what you think (seems alot of others feel the same way )
Now Now.....don't be a hater...LOL...gotta love some of the characters on the internet....LOL
 
I don't really show finds, but a few people I know will get to see them. As far as new people?... yes I see many new faces, but usually only once. There are a few regulars I see almost every time we head out to the condo. I'm not worried there's probably 20 miles of drivable beach and even a thousand people can't hit it all. Hell even with my DF I can follow my steps back and still find targets I missed. I think a get together would be cool for us Central Fl. guys, but more to BS and drink some barley pop, and share ideas/ experiences. :thumbsup:
 
S.S.Tupperware said:
I don't really show finds, but a few people I know will get to see them. As far as new people?... yes I see many new faces, but usually only once. There are a few regulars I see almost every time we head out to the condo. I'm not worried there's probably 20 miles of drivable beach and even a thousand people can't hit it all. Hell even with my DF I can follow my steps back and still find targets I missed. I think a get together would be cool for us Central Fl. guys, but more to BS and drink some barley pop, and share ideas/ experiences. :thumbsup:
i agree but when we start showing off 4ounce gold neckless im not sayin to not post just dont show stuff with a high dollar
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom